• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lead time? I'm better off working on my will.

peabodyracin

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
January 7 of 2021 I placed an on line order with Year One for Blue/Blue seat covers for a 68 Satellite convertible. They had a special on the rear covers (in stock) and lead time on the fronts was 6-8 weeks as I recall. Within a couple days the on line catalog showed a considerably longer lead time on covers. I figured, well it's COVID affecting everyone. I can live with that. The rear covers showed up soon after. They looked great, fit well and got me psyched up to see the fronts.

Every couple months I'd call for an update. Same story each time: supply chain, vendor slow/shut down because of COVID, every one is having supply issues, etc. I realize things are plenty screwed up and patiently kept waiting. Every couple months I get an automated email telling me they're working hard to fill my order.

This January (a year later) I called and was told 4-6 weeks. Nothing happens. Start calling again every couple months. Responses get more and more vague, but generally keep telling me 4-6 weeks when I press for an answer. By about August I notice the phone people are not even trying to explain the situation. They're just telling me "we'll check and get back to you". No follow up. Call again a month later, repeat. Next call and the story is they're behind because of moving warehouses. Again, no follow up. Last week I called and explained I wasn't even getting the courtesy of a response. Nice lady on the phone, says the purchasing agent is having trouble getting answers. Says I'll hear in a couple days. I get an email saying they don't know when the seat covers will ship. Don't offer any other info. I'm now 22 months into this and still don't know when I might expect the covers.

I've been polite and pleasant each call. I understand their challenges. What I can't understand is how they get to the point where they just tell me they don't know. Everyone has a bad day on occasion, myself included. I'm just baffled by the seeming lack of concern, burn out or 'had enough' attitude that seems to prevail when I call.

I'm pretty well convinced Year One has seen the last of my money. Not sure I'll live long enough to see the damn covers anyway.

Man, that’s bad. I heard a year lead time was typical but going on two is ridiculous. I was planning to order some new seat covers from them. Guess I better not put it off to long or my heirs will have some upholstery work to do some day.

I used to work at Year One back in the 90's. Back then seat covers were coming from Legendary. Try giving them a call direct.

I wish I was a skilled upholsterer.

Guess I'll post this again...

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 9.45.47 AM.png

To close this story, I called Year One again. Rep said they had no idea when the covers would be available. I said we're now at 2 years waiting. He said "you can keep waiting or cancel."

I said cancel. " OK. Done." Not so much as a "sorry for the trouble". Rep obviously didn't give a crap either way. They had my $360 for two years. I'm done.

To close this story, I called Year One again. Rep said they had no idea when the covers would be available. I said we're now at 2 years waiting. He said "you can keep waiting or cancel."

I said cancel. " OK. Done." Not so much as a "sorry for the trouble". Rep obviously didn't give a crap either way. They had my $360 for two years. I'm done.
That sucks for sure.

I haven't used One Year for at least 20 years. They started out great in the 80's but after about 5 years they chose to do business badly.
Legendary has started to go down the same path, I hope they can correct their issues and look after their customers properly.
I guess it's just me but when I was in business I preferred to stay small and sell a great product with good service than let the business get bigger and lose control on quality and service.

I rarely dealt with YO. Just something about them smelled bad early on. I always noticed they would have these magnificent sales promos going on - which never ever applied to anything I ever wanted - except once for a wiring harness.

I’m a Summit guy - I gave them as much of my money as I could and they always came thru in style. Liked every thing about Summit and nothing about YO.

Auto Transport Service
Back