• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Leaf Spring Advice

Eggo

Local time
6:47 AM
Reaction score
Hi I want to get new leaf springs for my 73 satellite to give it more lift. I live in the uk but have a friend who is importing a truck so want to bring them over in the back of that. I found these ones but was wondering if anyone's used them before and knows if they're good or if anyone has any recommendations for better ones?

1664867188435.png

You need to give more information.
What are you trying to achieve ?
Are you changing the ride height on the front as well ?
Are you going to tow or carry more weight ?
Are you trying to fit larger tires ?

You need to give more information.
What are you trying to achieve ?
Are you changing the ride height on the front as well ?
Are you going to tow or carry more weight ?

Are you trying to fit larger tires ?
Just trying to achieve 2-3 inches of lift at the back. I've dropped the front a bit on the torsion bar. Not going to tow or carry more weight and would at some point ideally like to put fatter tyres on the back.

ESPO is another outfit that sells springs with a +1", +2", or +3" arch built in.

I've gotten ESPO in the past and they worked out good.

Espo +2 on mine, love them. Great customer service, fast shipping, I think the car has settled a little, but they are pretty firm, but not too much, still a comfortable cruiser
:thumbsup:

959B15AB-25F3-4C60-9CB2-41242289BC1D.jpeg

Espo +2 on mine, love them. Great customer service, fast shipping, I think the car has settled a little, but they are pretty firm, but not too much, still a comfortable cruiser
:thumbsup:

View attachment 1352421
What are your tire/wheel sizes on those spiffy Keystones? I need to get a couple new ones, but they are out of stock everywhere. And even worse, their custom shop will not be opened back up until at least next summer.

Last edited:
What are your tire/wheel sizes on those spiffy Keystones? I need to get a couple new ones, but they are out of stock everywhere. And even worse, their custom shop will not be opened back up up at least next summer.
My spiffy keystones are 15x7 all around, 245/60/15 in the front, 255s in the back, they’re from 1984 and not quite as spiffy as they look in pictures, but the car isn’t perfect either so it works out. I wanted 15x8s or bigger with 275 or 295, but the eBay seller didn’t know how a tape measure works, or know how to read. They were listed at “15x8” oh well, he gave me $100 back. Keystones are my favorite wheel :thumbsup:

DDAF42A0-2C4E-46D6-B566-9D52D1E992B7.jpeg

My bet is that ESPO (Springs & Things) can give you what ever you want. They are really top quality.

My spiffy keystones are 15x7 all around, 245/60/15 in the front, 255s in the back, they’re from 1984 and not quite as spiffy as they look in pictures, but the car isn’t perfect either so it works out. I wanted 15x8s or bigger with 275 or 295, but the eBay seller didn’t know how a tape measure works, or know how to read. They were listed at “15x8” oh well, he gave me $100 back. Keystones are my favorite wheel :thumbsup:

View attachment 1352445
My favorite as well. Takes me back to the early and mid 80's when I ran them on all my cars.

20221004_073832.jpg

They were always my favorite. Wish I had them on my street '70 Barracuda. Had a set on my '65 Coronet drag car for a few years before I went to Centerlines.

Imo, since future shipping is an issue I would go with a tried and true leaf springs, either ESPO or Eaton Detroit Spring. You can customize how much height you want over stock height. Even the aftermarket Mopar leaf springs had issues and nothing is worse than doing/paying things twice.

Of course you can do as you like and the recommended brands are indeed good quality. However if your springs are good and all you want is a couple inches of additional lift in the rear you could do as I did which was much less expensive gave me exactly what I wanted - which was the couple of inches of rear lift and to be able to get the L60's underneath. Summit Racing keeps stock of a product called half leafs. Don't know the brand and it really doesn't matter. Essentially what you're buying is a half leaf spring for each side. They fit right in with your current stack - lift the back about 2-2.5" and only cost - when I bought mine less than $50. Worked like a charm, gave me exactly what I was looking for in terms of lift and at a pittance of the cost of new full springs. I've recommended them to many that were looking for what you want and I got. Happy Customers - and I waived my consultants fee....Lol

Check out Summit Racing and if any difficulties try tech support. @Eggo
Best of luck!

If the object is just a higher rear height, go to the local spring shop, presuming there is one, ask them to add some arch. In '74 gave them my estimate, turned out to be way to high. Took the springs back, asked them to take some arch out. Worked good. I played with lots of leaf combinations for '65 Coronet drag car before getting the one that worked best.

When you got to change your leaf springs make sure you use a bottle jack to hold the spring in place before your remove the bolt that holds the leaf spring to the mount. I didn't consider the fact that the leaf spring is under load when I removed the bolt. I removed the bolt and the spring unloaded and struck me in the jaw when I was laying under the car. I would compare the force of the hit that I took would have comparable to being hit by Mike Tyson or kicked by a horse. How it didn't break my jaw I'll never know but it sure left a mark and left me seeing stars!

Of course you can do as you like and the recommended brands are indeed good quality. However if your springs are good and all you want is a couple inches of additional lift in the rear you could do as I did which was much less expensive gave me exactly what I wanted - which was the couple of inches of rear lift and to be able to get the L60's underneath. Summit Racing keeps stock of a product called half leafs. Don't know the brand and it really doesn't matter. Essentially what you're buying is a half leaf spring for each side. They fit right in with your current stack - lift the back about 2-2.5" and only cost - when I bought mine less than $50. Worked like a charm, gave me exactly what I was looking for in terms of lift and at a pittance of the cost of new full springs. I've recommended them to many that were looking for what you want and I got. Happy Customers - and I waived my consultants fee....Lol

Check out Summit Racing and if any difficulties try tech support. @Eggo
Best of luck!
I was curious, so thought I would check them out. Half leafs don’t come up in a search at Summit.

Auto Transport Service
Back