• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

leaking 727?!

69wedge383

Local time
6:57 PM
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on how to keep my 727 from marking its spot? Its been a constant battle with my 69 Coronet (fac. 383 w/727). I have used both cork and "reusable" rubber. I have checked the mounting flange on the trans, GTG no nicks and is straight. I suspect the Pan as I have had to un-dimple the pan at the bolt holes in the past, I've put a straight edge on it and looks goods. I don't over torque.
I'm thinking about going to a cast Aluminum pan because of their think mounting flange, but here is the problem. First; I cant find any stock size cast Aluminum pans. Second; I'm told that Aluminum pans don't bend they break if they hit/bottom out? Third; My car is lowered in the front about 1 1/2 inch and has smaller aspect ratio tires up front. (for that big back tire/little front tire look or old school rake) I fear a larger capacity pan just will not work here. Fourth; I live in So-Cal and they build the roads around here with big driveway curbs (my 05 Pontiac Grand Prix scrapes when it leaves my parking area)............any suggestion?? and no, moving is not an option, its 78 degrees today and always sunny here!! (I'm from PA/NJ area originally) Thanks!!

Wow. Identical problem to what I'm encountering now. Exactly the same as you. Lowered at the front with smaller tires than the rear. I bought a B&M aluminium pan cos I could not get my original to stop leaking no matter what I did.
Unfortunately this was the smallest pan I could get from summits, supposed to be 2 quart extra but the thing hangs lower than a snakes testicles. Only just fitted it tonight and it's no good. So will be interested to see what replies you get as to our options. You can see from the pics exactly just how low it hangs.
4" deep pan leaves me 3.5" ground clearance. You must be able to get a stock sized pan in aluminium from somewhere ?????????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 163
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 179
If your transmission pan is really the problem ,go to Chrysler and buy one of their reusable trans pan gaskets, well worth the money.

Can you see where the pan is leaking? Selector shaft seal? Tork converter/front pump seal (my personal favorite)? I had a T-flite that ate front pump seals/bushings. Trans once was in & out of the car 5 times in 8 days, the tracks didn't like my leakage! Turned out the front pump housing bore in the case was egg shaped, not round. Case to the recycler, trans guts in new case, no problem again!!

Thanks I should have mentioned that I checked that, It is definitely the pan gasket all other places show no signs of leakage, I replaced the shifter seal years ago also when that started leaking but not the cause now, Lol Yes Wow that is hanging LOW I would rip that thing off in about two blocks around here! Someone said to try a "New" trans pan from the newer AOD 727 it might be bigger but not as big as a 2qt oversize Aluminum, Has anyone done this? and how much bigger is it??

Auto Transport Service
Back