• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Least Favorite thing to work on a car.

The heater core on my '02 went south last year. I dug out the fsm, read the proceedure and promptly called the dodge dealer. FTS.

I posted a question about doing a heater core on my 02 Durango and the reply was "I'd rather take a bath in a tub full of scissors than put a heater core in one of those" :rolling::rolling:

I hate those super easy jobs that are only supposed to take a half hour........
Meanwhile, midnight on Sunday.......

Starter on a car with headers....

Anything under the dash of a 66/67 B body with A/C....

Changing a flat tire

Anything that gets that icky grease on my hands. Yuck!

I was just kidding!!!

Well,since I may have to fix some under-dash issues on the S.F.,I'm glad you cats reminded me of what a p.i.t.a. it will be. Did I mention that it's a factory a/c car? No? More fun... I've already decided to enlist the help of you guys when I attempt to remove the a/c goodies under the dash-didn't see that coming,did ya?

One of the worst jobs I did as an apprentice was an alternator change on an '88 Olds Cutlass with the 3.4 DOHC mill in it. Took me and another newbie almost 8 hours from start to finish. Lessee... remove tire/wheel,remove strut,remove lower control arm,remove inner splash shield,loosen engine cradle bolts-oops,better get a jackstand!-lower one side of cradle,still can't see effin' alternator,lose sockets and extensions and swivels in maze of plumbing and parts,get asked by supervisor why it's taking so effin' long. Dream about serious binge drinking after this is over. Ah,yes...

Got to be pulling a Turbo off a 89 Dodge Daytona Shelby w/out pulling the head off, outside in the winter in Germany, by far my worst experience; cold, no room for tools, etc. And, I did this in my driveway! I will NEVER do that again.

Removing the upper cowl on my gtx was lots of fun 60+ spot welds to drill out and lead on the ends

Got to be pulling a Turbo off a 89 Dodge Daytona Shelby w/out pulling the head off, outside in the winter in Germany, by far my worst experience; cold, no room for tools, etc. And, I did this in my driveway! I will NEVER do that again.

Wow ! were you a glutton for Punishment or what ? it would have sucked to have been you, pulling one of these in optimum conditions is painful enough.

changeing a transmision on a 4x4 s-10 from the mid 80s to early 90s thats a real pain but anything to any of my chargers is always fun

Anything that gets that icky grease on my hands. Yuck!

I was just kidding!!!

Well,since I may have to fix some under-dash issues on the S.F.,I'm glad you cats reminded me of what a p.i.t.a. it will be. Did I mention that it's a factory a/c car? No? More fun... I've already decided to enlist the help of you guys when I attempt to remove the a/c goodies under the dash-didn't see that coming,did ya?

One of the worst jobs I did as an apprentice was an alternator change on an '88 Olds Cutlass with the 3.4 DOHC mill in it. Took me and another newbie almost 8 hours from start to finish. Lessee... remove tire/wheel,remove strut,remove lower control arm,remove inner splash shield,loosen engine cradle bolts-oops,better get a jackstand!-lower one side of cradle,still can't see effin' alternator,lose sockets and extensions and swivels in maze of plumbing and parts,get asked by supervisor why it's taking so effin' long. Dream about serious binge drinking after this is over. Ah,yes...

Try a serpentine belt on a Dodge Dynasty, book time said 3 hrs, i thought how could that be right, before i had ever done one. UMM it was right.

Maybe not the hardest job, but the most stressful job i have done. Installing a new roof rack on a brand new Mazda MPV that the custmor had just bought.

Something about drilling into a brand new car, that doesnt belong to you. Measure once, umm measure again, ok measure one more time, drill, oh, better check the measurment.

Anything emergency when the tools stick to your hands since they are cold. Oh, yeah, frozen tools sticking to sweaty bare palms, that is what I really hate.

Some big ones:

Replacing the clutch in a manual 4x4 Ford truck. Tranny-transaxle combo is really heavy. Really, really heavy.

Freeze plug in a Ford Torino or Elite. I am pretty sure I will miss the pearly gates for the uttered comments I have said over those.

Any older exhaust work, I just hate exhaust work. Rusty bolts, pipes don't fit, rust, rust rust. Grrrr.

Someone who thinks you can weld two thinned rusty parts and wants to see me try anyway. That is like Cinemax ****, all frustration and no payoff.

Randy

dash

Working under the dash was not really that bad.Having my brother telling me how to pull out the box and change the heater-core and blower motor.Now that really sucked.He was there double checking every move I made.:rant::rant:

Underdash work is a pita. But am I the only one who hates body work?

Changing my water pump with temp at -10 degrees and no shop available when I lived in Montana.

More recently, changing timing belt on wife's SRT4. Took 3 tries to get all 3 timing marks in the right place with the belt tensioner set.

Changing my water pump with temp at -10 degrees and no shop available when I lived in Montana.

More recently, changing timing belt on wife's SRT4. Took 3 tries to get all 3 timing marks in the right place with the belt tensioner set.

Timing belts on newer cars ARRGGG.

I worked at Mazda for a bit.

The twin cam Miata engine had a exahust cam that was loaded all the time. So we had to alighn the marks and vise grip two wrenches together to do it, when the real tool was in use, or lost.

Of course they would twang off at the most critical times, what a pain.

MPV's with the DOHC 6's in them, take the whole front of the engine off to do it, and find the timing marks on all 5 areas, grrr

I guess I will be able to answer this when I get my Magnum from Ohio.

I'm way to fat and have way to big of hands to work under my b body dashes

Amen to that!!! I forgot how much of a PITA it was to work under da dash of the GTX...back is wrenched and neck is twisted :black_eye:
guess i'm going to drink it off...LOL

jack_daniels-9205.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back