• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

LED Garage / Shop Lights?

Fran,
They turn on to full brightness with no flicker in Chicago winters when I flip the switch and no noise or humming.

I have but cold hasn't hit Yet. I'm thinking of buying more. My 50 year old 8' ers are starting to crap out.

@MFP

LOVE your screen name.

I would absolutely watch a series of "grittier" ChiPS/Adam 12 style episodes based on Max and Goose' early days. No underlying plot needed, just self contained episodes in that universe with those characters...and I count the cars as characters (IMO the franchise went South when they failed to recognize that)

Hi mate , yep Totally agree - one of my fave pieces of cinema is the opening car chase in Mad Max 1 ... Had i the money I’d have the “pursuit“ car every day of the week vs the “interceptor “ ... ( I know it’s a ford but I always saw it as the exception to the mopar rule lol ) .
All of that stuffs a bit like watching ‘die hard’ - we all know what’s going to happen but I see it the same as a roller coaster - I turn up at the cinema pay my money get seated , take the ‘die hard ride’ and get back off at the end - nothing much to think about just enjoyable fun !
Have to say you are the first person to mention the MFP thing ... fair play to you and well spotted mate lmao

I just had them installed a few days ago and they are dynamite! I have five 4' strips and they provide tons of white light.

I went with the 4't5 high bays 6 in a 40x60 building. Thanks to @Mike67 recommendations, very happy with them
20190125_100359.jpg

From this-

img_20190106_152243-jpg.jpg

800 lumen screw in CFL

To this-

img_20190106_152156-jpg.jpg

6800 lumens of LED

For that bay I have:

$34 in the fixtures
$2 in the box and cover
$0 in the receptacle
$1.50 in the connector bushing
$0 in the wire and wire nuts

Not a bad investment for almost 10 times the light

May I ask the place and brand you purchased?

Lots of good stuff in this thread.

I am currently looking at purchasing 26 4' LED's for my new shop. The hard part I am finding is they are mostly hanging and not surface mount to a box. Also it seems impossible to find dimmable ones. Anyone use any hardwired dimmable ones?

Someone disagrees with the picture of my new lights??????

For that bay I have:

$34 in the fixtures
$2 in the box and cover
$0 in the receptacle
$1.50 in the connector bushing
$0 in the wire and wire nuts

Not a bad investment for almost 10 times the light
That’s extremely inexpensive. Where did you get them?

Black Friday sale at Rural King.

Regular price is $26. Still not terrible.

I have 11 total and have only had one that was partially bad out of the box.

The first batch has been in a little over a year, so kinda early to tell lifespan wise.

Finally had time over the holidays, to get around to installing my LED hardware in my paint booth. Replaced the 4 foot, 4 bulb, 2 ballast's fluorescent system to 4 tube LED with 1 ballast system. I started doing the math as the job progressed, I'am always surprised by the energy level difference.
12 Fluorescent fixture's, drawing 1.14 amps =13.68 amps per hour = two fridge's?
!2 LED fixture's, drawing .47 amps = 5.64 amps

The booth is brighter, no warm up time or shop is too cold issue's and an 8 amp power difference!!!

IMG_0304.JPG

Finally had time over the holidays, to get around to installing my LED hardware in my paint booth. Replaced the 4 foot, 4 bulb, 2 ballast's fluorescent system to 4 tube LED with 1 ballast system. I started doing the math as the job progressed, I'am always surprised by the energy level difference.
12 Fluorescent fixture's, drawing 1.14 amps =13.68 amps per hour = two fridge's?
!2 LED fixture's, drawing .47 amps = 5.64 amps

The booth is brighter, no warm up time or shop is too cold issue's and an 8 amp power difference!!!

View attachment 888610
I've slowly been replacing fixtures as they failed (usually the ballast, of course) with the el cheapo
LED's as well. It's a different kind of light and I'm still on the fence as to whether I like it or not.
I do like the energy savings, though.

Different kind of light?
It is brighter, the pic above, has the old fluorescent light's in the upper fixture's and the lower's are LED. The light reflected seem's pretty close. The reflected light on my painting surface (car ie.) is much more defined. Oh yeah, and some what blinding....at time's.

How are you handling the difusers when they get clouded with paint mist?

simply replace them or is there a trick?

Auto Transport Service
Back