• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's play "Guess what I found in my dumpster, today?" 1-13 edition-

YY1

Local time
3:55 PM
Reaction score
That's right a Realistic 8 track deck and 19 tapes.

It "weathered" a severe flash flood on the night of the 12th, but...

It works!

Bottom plywood is delaminating, but wax protected the main cabinet.

Tried the Boston tape and it actually didn't sound too bad.

Other titles include Ozzy Osbourne- Diary of a Madman (That has got to be one LATE 8 track release)
2 Queen, Foreigner, Supertramp, Kiss, Aerosmith, Molly Hatchett, Steve Martin, ...and, yes, that's a "Bill Cosby" tape.

Also...it's a recorder, so all the folks with period 8 track decks in their Mopars can record A7X and TSO and listen to it on 8 track!

IMG_20150113_173402.jpg IMG_20150113_210456.jpg IMG_20150113_205913.jpg

Great find!
YY1: This is a great thread....
So, the week of Jan 14th...2014...
Your find is 01
And a good one at that!
Congrads on your find.

Nice find! I purchased a rental property a few years back and found a box with about 40 8 Track cartridges in it, but I don't have a player. Thinking about finding a period correct player for one of my old cars and seeing if they are any good.

Also found were:

50/30 Amp dryer cord cap and recep both new in the box (I was about to buy a 20A set for my new compressor)
1/2" drill bit 1 foot long- looks OK with very light surface rust
3 Makita cordless router cases filled with:
#1- 10p nails all new about 6 dozen
#2- 1/8 aluminum rivets about 3 dozen
#3- 1/4"x 1" aluminum self taping screws about a gross
Medium center punch
A dozen new brass hinges
2x 10" chop saw blades- light use
16' 14/2 w/ground romex- new (I was about to buy a reel for a lighting project)
Brand new 2x6x8- cut down to 7'
Very lightly weathered 3/8" 2'x5' plywood section

You can probably get $4,857.23 on fleabay.

I never bought into 8 tracks either.

They were on the way out when I started getting into music.

I hated the always one song that got spanned between tracks.

Also difficult to find well thought out systems- IE rare FF and even rarer RR.

This recorder doesn't have either- extremely limited functionality.

I did borrow and almost buy a super nice receiver with a built in 8 track deck, but decided against it.

Like this one-

Attachments

• 6600.jpg
    6600.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 428
They were ok as long as you had a good stiff book of matches to wedge under the left side of the cartridge. :icon_thumleft:

Besides the size, the problem with 8 tracks is that you can't rewind them and they barely go forward fast.

It always amazed me that someone thought of and developed the 8 track mechanism before someone though of simply scaling down reel to reel and enclosing them in a cassette.

Any Mott The Hoople tapes?

Eight-track machine playing 'Half Moon Bay'
Drivin' in my Volks down on Hamstead Way
Her mother got bust on a 88
And her brother got stuck on my number plate

http://youtu.be/8q4K6xoCPfM

It always amazed me that someone thought of and developed the 8 track mechanism before someone though of simply scaling down reel to reel and enclosing them in a cassette.

There were earlier mono cartridges for dictation purposes, but the stereo 8-track came out in 1964. Compact Cassette was introduced in 1962.

... and what a mess when the player decided to eat one of them! :icon_hang:
8 track tapes are getting old to the point now that they usually fall apart and jam up the works when you try to play them. It is kinda cool to see an 8 track player mounted under the dash of a 60s car, other than that, forget it.

Besides the size, the problem with 8 tracks is that you can't rewind them and they barely go forward fast.

That's what I always hated about 8 Tracks. If you wanted to hear a song again you had to hit the Program button, go to the program before the one you wanted, then listen to all the songs in that program and the one your song was on again. I was soooooo happy when cassettes came out and I could fast forward and rewind!

8 track tapes are getting old to the point now that they usually fall apart and jam up the works when you try to play them. It is kinda cool to see an 8 track player mounted under the dash of a 60s car, other than that, forget it.

That was my thought, just to have a cartridge sticking out of an 8 Track player for car shows.

Not ALL 8-track tapes are old and worn out. For novelty sake, this one came out in 2009.
Cheap Trick 8-track.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back