• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's put this myth to an end...

ws27

Local time
9:01 AM
Reaction score
Don't shoot the messenger if you don't agree!

He just needs to take a breath between sentences.

I always have my extra batteries on the floor of my shop. Guess I never thought about it. Never had any issues.

So the rubber case battery could discharge on a concrete floor. That's where the "don't do it" came from. It hasn't been that awful long ago that they were useing rubber. Maybe the fifties?

I can agree that the plastic wouldn't be affected.

So it's not really a myth :rolleyes:

Myths begin with bits and pieces of information shared over and over. Each sharing of that infomation gets contaminated in translation.

Thanks for that bit of clarity about batteries.

So--Why are the oceans going to rise -and we may need to consider a vacation in canada in the summer because we drive cars?

Information is not secret.---Just seek it.

I have had many heated converstions about stuff that the "myth busters" have exposed to be myth.
When some minds close it is like tossing the key. Rational thinking becomes just bla bla bla.
"The Debate is over" Is my favorite.:D

I have always stored my battery on a piece of wood on the floor and a trickle charger. I was told about not storing batteries on concrete floors when I was in the army, I was a generator repairman in viet nam 68-69.

Air Force told us the same thing. It was the grounding of the acids on the case that would discharge it. Even in metal battery boxes batterys were sit on wood.

I agree mopar3 b
We did not have sealed batteries back then. But then again if this is myth Hondas spending a lot of extra money on plastic battery boxes for their trays. The 05 Honda and 99 Dodge have plastic tray liners
Maybe their talking about drycells?

Could it be that the " myth" started early on in the military?
Afterall their is always a root for a myth.
Learning happens in every place every day.
A closed mind is just that.

The video stated that placing the older and rubber case battery on a concrete floor would have an effect. The newer batteries made of plastic are not affected. That's not a myth, it did have an effect at one time.

I always put my car batteries on wood or off the concrete. This was because of the bug in my ear that this is just done.

I also (to this day) keep a buffer from concrete to many things that absorb moisture.

My basement is above the water table but it is still a sponge for water/moisture on the floor surface. This is not a place to store just anything.

Myths begin with bits and pieces of information shared over and over. Each sharing of that infomation gets contaminated in translation.

Thanks for that bit of clarity about batteries.

So--Why are the oceans going to rise -and we may need to consider a vacation in canada in the summer because we drive cars?

Information is not secret.---Just seek it.

I have had many heated converstions about stuff that the "myth busters" have exposed to be myth.
When some minds close it is like tossing the key. Rational thinking becomes just bla bla bla.
"The Debate is over" Is my favorite.:D
"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work when it's not open." FZ

Just leave a metal five gallon bucket on a concrete floor for about a year. Full of bolts! Lol

And what do we call that degradation?:) Further-- what part does electricity have to do with rusting?
Answer--It works both ways and is a key in the change process from what was into what will be.

"A mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work when it's not open." FZ

I like these sayings. They condense topics well.

When you jump out of a plane you know your limit. -- It's the ground.

I always put my car batteries on wood or off the concrete. This was because of the bug in my ear that this is just done. I also (to this day) keep a buffer from concrete to many things that absorb moisture. My basement is above the water table but it is still a sponge for water/moisture on the floor surface. This is not a place to store just anything.

my Harley buddy who has a collection of a few older bikes
will not park any of them on concrete,every thing is on a rubber mat.
he swears that it will dry rot out the tires in under 2 years
and he was tired of buying new tires for his bikes
and getting hardly any use out of them.

...and then there's the old-timers, who put copper pennies on the top (or next to), the battery posts, when rubber and tar is what covered the tops of batteries. Their reasoning was: "That will stop the battery post from corroding, and getting into the cables - as can plainly be seen in the penny corroding!" The penny only ADDED to the corrosion, because of being a dissimilar metal, with the battery post itself. Every time you put two different (dissimilar) metals together, one becomes the anode and one becomes the cathode. When you pass electricity through them the anode then corrodes.
NON-MYTH: If you have corrosion on the battery & posts, mix water & baking soda, and carefully pour onto the posts. It will neutralize, and eliminate the corrosion. Then brush-on a little new grease, to aid in slowing the corrosion, as it keeps-out the oxygen/nitrogen - from the air. (works for me!) :thumbsup:

Could it be that the " myth" started early on in the military?
Afterall their is always a root for a myth.
Learning happens in every place every day.
A closed mind is just that.
A good possibility, and probably the result of something like:

Somewhere in France, 1944...

Sergeant: "Corporal Jones! Did you charge that truck battery like I ordered you to?"
Corporal: "Yes sergeant, I did! I stayed late last night and made sure it was charged!"
Sergeant: "Then why the Hell is it sitting here this morning with no damn charge?"
Corporal: "Ah, well, oh, probably because it was on the concrete floor all night instead of the table?"
Sergeant: "Well get the damn thing on the table and get it charged!!!"

Later that day...

Corporal's pal: "So, did you catch Hell for cutting out early to hit the club instead of charging that battery?
Corporal: "Yeah, but I fed the sarge some bullshit about it discharging on the floor, and he bought it."
Corporal's pal: "Brilliant! I'll have to use that sometime."

My take on the whole thing is that it certainly won't hurt to place your battery on a piece of wood. If it makes you happy do it, I usually do.

Auto Transport Service
Back