• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's See Your Factory 3-Speed Manual '71-'74's!

My experience has been that until 1971 all small block manual trans B body cars were column shifted.

I am starting to see a pattern in that "performance" small block cars like the 340 Road Runner got a floor shifted manual trans in 71 and 72, which carried over to the 318 RR in 73 and later.

Has anyone seen a documented or unmolested 71-74 small block non-RR with a floor shift 318 3 speed?

On the Dodge side, it's a bit more difficult- Rally Chargers are a LOT more rare than 318 Roaadrunners.
Also the Rallye Charger was available with a 318 in 72 (vs the 318 RR appearing in 73)
I've even seen a documented Rally Charger with a 400 2 barrel!
(I've never even heard that discussed anywhere)
While I've seen several 400 4 speed 71-74 Chargers even SE models, the only floor shift manual small block cars I've personally seen are 71 Super Bees.

I have however, seen more than one 318 three speed on the column 73/74 Rallye Charger.

new to the forum guys, just joined last month. I have had a 3 speed shifter in a box for 20 plus years now (from a 72 RR i bought back in 88 and sold in 97, I converted it to a 4 speed, lost track of the transmission but kept the shifter, car was a 400 4 bbl car converted to 440). No linkage arms, just the ball, shifter and mechanism base. For sale if someone wants it.

Last edited:
I've lurked around here off and on for a while but this thread got me to sign up.

I've got a 73 charger with a 318 and 3spd on the column my dad found for me about 10-15 years ago. He thought I could use it for a 4spd conversion. I've been told, with zero documentation, that it's one of about 300 if I remember correctly. Pretty darn rare car though not real desirable I'm guessing.

Auto Transport Service
Back