• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's try again

Haflinger

Local time
4:07 AM
Reaction score
Since the vinyltop install went good I thought I should try the headliner
aswell, h**l, I don't have any choice since nobody around here seems
to be able to help me. So guys, please give me any tips, links or other good
advice. Are the sailpanelboards necessary to have? Can I make my own
boards? Mine were rather crappy.

Per

Most B bodies have sail panels. If yours are missing you can either make your own (been there, done that, not easy if you try to put that push clip on the back side) or buy some already done from Legendary.

Lay your liner out in the sun to get it soft. Put all the bows in the proper location. You'll probably have to cut the "tubes" they fit through, cause they're made side to side (longer than the bows themselves) Start at the rear. Make sure you use the little wire retainers that hook from the roof to the rear-most bow. This will allow you to work the liner forward, pulling it snug. Use some 3M adhesive along the sides with the clips.

Take your time!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont cut any holes (dome light, rear view mirror, visors, coat hanger hook, etc) until you are done and happy with it!

I've read somewhere that installing the screws for the dome, mirror etc
is a good way of knowing where they should be after the headliner is
installed. And, not forget to put the wire for the domelight in place.:rolling:

Per

The correct material (read board) for the sail panels can be bought at an upholstery supply house. That's what I made some from, and I still have a large enough piece to make a rear seat divider panel for my Duster (to replace the WOOD one that is there now)

Thanks guys:grin:

What about the clip at the right of my pic? I bought it but I don't
remember having any when I removed the old headliner.:confused:

Headliner clips 001.jpg

on the far right? looks like the ones that go along the roof rail (top of the windows)

While you're trying to digest all this, also try to remember there are some clips on the painted molding that goes up there as well. Those clips can't interfere with the lil clips to hold the liner.

Thanks guys! Now it's hanging there by clamps, I rather soon discovered that cutting the sleeves enough is important to be able to stretch enough.
It's rather good from front to the half roof but the back isn't. When do I start
to cut in the headliner for the A-pillar and sailpanel? I'm afraid to cut too
much. Should I use a heatgun to make the material moore soft and get the wrinkles out?

Per

Servonippel 003.jpg

Servonippel 004.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back