• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lexan Pro Glass. DVW style

I looked into heating Lexan. It was suggested to make a mold. Put it in a pizza oven and let it droop down over it. You have to be careful with temp as the Lexan can gas and form bubbles internally. To be honest for a racecar the 1/8" will flex easy.
Doug

Our well equipped factory has nothing but the best equipment. 30 year old Craftman jig saw. Harbor Frieght belt sander and a borrowed band saw. Now producing lightweight Lexan windows. Available exclusively for 62 Plymouth 4 door. Guaranteed fit. Oh and if you don't have enough Lexan. Dad has extra in stock. 9.2 lbs total.
Doug

View attachment 1430174

View attachment 1430179

View attachment 1430180
41012-jpeg.jpg

How are you finishing the edges?
I have a tip for you if this picture shows how you leave them. :)

View attachment 1433615

How are you finishing the edges?
I have a tip for you if this picture shows how you leave them. :)
They could be hit with 240 grit. To be honest they look pretty much like stock glass. I've seen them hit with the torch. To me it's too shiny.
Doug

I've seen them hit with the torch. To me it's too shiny.
A friend of mine does acrylic fabrication over here.

He finishes most jobs like yours with a very small flame from an acetylene torch. Just enough flame to roll around the edge....moving at a steady pace. The finish looks much better than if it was just linished with paper.
The finish with a flame will not only look better, but will also stop build-up of dirt and stains on the edge.....seals the plastic.

Crap! I didn't think about that. Wonder if I can arc/bow a piece of sheet metal the same as the PS window and heat the lexan until its lays down. Guess I'll find out...
Just as a note, using 3/16 Lexan for the windshield will keep it sturdy under speed and pressure up top at the lights. It will still be lighter than the factory glass, but not as light as 1/8. Using 1/8 for this section may make it bow in or out depending on the vacuum, but some cars are well sealed and do not get affected such as DVW's masterpiece.
1/8 can be used on the side door windows even if they roll up and down, but they may need a little hand assistance in bringing them into the upper channel tracks as you close them. Rolling down is no sweat. A little flimsy but no sweat.
Save all the factory glass. It's getting harder to find all of this stuff and some out there need the factory glass for their respective restorations.

Auto Transport Service
Back