• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lifter install

Wing It

Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if I can get some opinions on the best way to install the lifters on a 440. I am to the point of my rebuild where I am installing the lifters, pushrods and rocker assemblies. This is a mostly stock engine with the only modifications being slightly larger valves, a step above stock camshaft, etc. It is a hydraulic flat tappet camshaft. In the past, I have primed hydraulic lifters by placing them in a pan of oil and used a drill press with part of an old pushrod and pumped them up and down some while immersed in oil. The machinist I used for this build is telling me he prefers to assemble everything without priming the lifters and letting them get primed by priming the oil system with a priming tool on a drill, spinning the oil pump. I planned on doing that anyway but I wonder if that is sufficient to prime the lifters if I install them without pre-priming them. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

I would have to say that priming them would be better, but doing it the other way is probably ok too as long as the push rods don't fall out of the rocker arms. There is really no adjustment, so I don't think they can be too tight. Just my opinion, others will probably have more experience than I do.

By manually pumping the lifters you may cause some valves to not seat causing no compression in affected cylinders. The drill operated priming is superior in my opinion. It will only pump up the lifters enough to take up the clearances in the valve train.
Mike

I've always primed my motors with the drill. Not sure about the hydraulic lifters, since I'm a solid lifter guy. Good luck.

They are self adjusting so do not pump up till hard
Prime system as above is best

Assuming you are using stock stamped rockers, have you predetermined what the correct pushrod length needs to be in order to obtain the correct lifter preload as per your cam manufacturer? If so, using the priming shaft with a drill, as previously mentioned, is the way to go.

The Mopar engines manual says NOT to pump the lifters with oil for the reasons stated by 493 Mike.
Some of the valves may stay off of the seat when starting!

It is better NOT to prime the lifters. Most HFT lifters have an internal adjustment range of about 0.150", from the circlip until bottomed out. You will get a range of opinions as to exactly the right spot, but having the lifters un-primed will allow you to see that they are within the adjustment range. A pump up lifter that is tight at room temp [ oil has not warmed up ] could hold the valve open & give you a false setting.

Auto Transport Service
Back