• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loctite on turn signal screw

BigYellaStella

Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
So I got the column sorted out on my Coronet, and everything works great, signals self cancel, the wheel is straight, column locks when the key is out, even the key-in buzzer works(God it's annoying though), and the ignition switch light works too.

My issue is this: I've been driving it intermittently to more often than I'd like lately until I can find the time to find and fix the issues that my daily driver has been experiencing, and in doing so, the signal lever has become sloppy and floppy. Now addressing the issue is no problem, yank the wheel off, tighten the lever screw, reinstall the wheel, etc.

Is it wise/feasible/stupid to apply a drop or 3 of thread locker onto that screw to keep it in place? I've not found anything anywhere saying yes/no, good idea/bad idea, so I thought I'd throw it out to you good folks. It's a replacement switch as it is, that screw is just a hair under a mile long, and I can't seem to find any reason not to do this, but I thought it was worth inquiring about.

I'll be putting an aftermarket wheel on it seeing as I'll be keeping the car afterall and the factory wheel is akin to a bus steering wheel in diameter and thin as a wire, I figured I'd do the loctite thing when the wheel arrives, I just don't want to keep pulling the wheel off for that little basted screw.

Thoughts?

IMHO, if it didn't come from the factory like that, I wouldn't do it. I would believe that there is something wrong. Are the screws threads worn out, are the hole threads stripped out or dangerously close from that screw being overtightened, so on and so forth. Admittedly, I can be unnecessarily picky and particular when it comes to my car. To finally answer your question, if you decide to go that route, I second eric383.

Been a long time since I've been into a steering column but isn't there supposed to be one of those star type lock washers on the screw?

Been a long time since I've been into a steering column but isn't there supposed to be one of those star type lock washers on the screw?
No idea, I'll check the FSM tonight tho.... Thanks everyone!

If a lock washer doesn't help, and it keeps coming loose, then I wouldn't think a drop of blue Loctite could hurt.

I add a dab of blue loctite as rule any time one is apart. The threads in the column are a slight interference fit ( in lieu of threadlocker ) and after taking them apart over and overdue to the crappy design the interference fit goes away. It is a very good idea in my opinion, go for it.

Locktite for sure, mine have come loose on multiple occasions. I agree with the blue lock so you can remove easily...

So I got the column sorted out on my Coronet, and everything works great, signals self cancel, the wheel is straight, column locks when the key is out, even the key-in buzzer works(God it's annoying though), and the ignition switch light works too.

My issue is this: I've been driving it intermittently to more often than I'd like lately until I can find the time to find and fix the issues that my daily driver has been experiencing, and in doing so, the signal lever has become sloppy and floppy. Now addressing the issue is no problem, yank the wheel off, tighten the lever screw, reinstall the wheel, etc.

Is it wise/feasible/stupid to apply a drop or 3 of thread locker onto that screw to keep it in place? I've not found anything anywhere saying yes/no, good idea/bad idea, so I thought I'd throw it out to you good folks. It's a replacement switch as it is, that screw is just a hair under a mile long, and I can't seem to find any reason not to do this, but I thought it was worth inquiring about.

I'll be putting an aftermarket wheel on it seeing as I'll be keeping the car afterall and the factory wheel is akin to a bus steering wheel in diameter and thin as a wire, I figured I'd do the loctite thing when the wheel arrives, I just don't want to keep pulling the wheel off for that little basted screw.

Thoughts?
Mine is doing the exact same thing after a new signal switch install and about 1 year of use in a 68 Satellite. Did you do the locktite on it and how has it worked out for ya? I also have a aftermarket steering wheel in there and there is a god awful squeak it the wheel at the top from the two metal parts rubbing that I have to remedy. I want to fix all of it when I pull the wheel this week.

I've never had this problem with any of my Mopars. But it sounds as though the blue locktite has worked well for others on this forum.

So far the loctite has worked great! No more issues. As far as the squeaking thing goes, I ran into that as well. I used a standard Grant install kit and found a few 1/8" washers taped to the back of the cover over the holes to the adapter spaced it out enough to alleviate any more issues.

Hope this helps!

I'm gonna try that, mine is a grant as well. Really appreciate the feedback and will report back for others in the future. Have a great night/day! Here is the beast as well because we all love pictures on this site. Nice little day at a show next to my buddy and his wife's 70 AAR and 340 Auto cudas. The 65 is my lady's.

So far the loctite has worked great! No more issues. As far as the squeaking thing goes, I ran into that as well. I used a standard Grant install kit and found a few 1/8" washers taped to the back of the cover over the holes to the adapter spaced it out enough to alleviate any more issues.

Hope this helps!

20170526_172044.jpg

Even red locktite will come loose with a little heat. Never had something locktited that I couldn't get loose. Just takes a little more effort than just "unscrewing" it.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back