• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a slick, trick way

Bigtime

Local time
5:58 PM
Reaction score
I am looking for a
dodge13.jpg
dodge14.jpg
dodge13.jpg
dodge13.jpg
[relatively inexpensive] way to route my spark plug wires around the valve covers of my 383.
The application is my '65 Dodge Coronet.
I recently purchased the car and I have [what I believe to be] a universal set of wires.
The car has a set of Hedman Street Headers by the look of them.
I have attached a couple of photos to try and show what I presently have.
Please give me some ideas.
Since the photos I have added red anodized T-bolt valve cover hold downs.

The wires to the rear cylinders go on top of the valve covers around the back of the engine.

I would get rid of the headers in favor of stock HP Manifolds from 67 up. Then stock style wires and brackets will keep everything in perfect order. This is just my opinion, but we all know that everyone has one.

I would get rid of the headers in favor of stock HP Manifolds from 67 up. Then stock style wires and brackets will keep everything in perfect order. This is just my opinion, but we all know that everyone has one.
Thanks, worth consideration!

Whatever you do in the future, stay away from the zip ties. Unless you are running extra thick or shielded wires the separators you have serve a purpose. They help prevent possible induction/crossfire.

Out of left field here..... I have seen a set of "valve cover covers" which hide the plug wires underneath a cover which goes on top of the valve covers....I think the low-rider crowd does that type of stuff. For me, I prefer the stock-look like you already have.

Whatever you do in the future, stay away from the zip ties. Unless you are running extra thick or shielded wires the separators you have serve a purpose. They help prevent possible induction/crossfire.
I get it about the zips, thanks!

If you are trying to clean up the engine compartment look, maybe experiment with putting the wires under the headers. I'm not saying it can be done,i'm not familiar with your headers, but with proper plug boots( it may require an assortment of different ends) it will make them less noticable.
Maybe use old wires or something to simulate the new leads, lay out where you want them to go, then either make a set from universal wire or order a custom set to your specs from firecore.

I'm in a similar boat with my 68 Coronet but dealing with manifolds instead of headers. IMO, headers are actually a littler easier to deal with because they all point down. The only routing choice with upswept manifolds is to go underneath. If you go under, you almost have to use the factory brackets.

If you don't care about originality, then perhaps you might look into the valve cover stand-off type holders. This is a small block from my Duster but it should give you the idea. These holders are "Made For You Products" They are retained with longer valve cover bolts. The wires are cut-to-fit Taylor 8mm with 135 degree boots. The valve cover holders work great. I used them in conjunction with MSD wire separators. There's all kinds of wire separators and holders out there, just depends how crazy you want to go.

IMG_2747.JPG

IMG_2757.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

I ran stock wires under the headers in my 440 E-body no problem. They were Headman headers and I only had to change a couple of plug boot angles.

Ditch the yellow wires. Its the First thing you look at. They stick out like a sore thumb

I like to see as little of them as possible...I run mine down the front and up to the plugs, similar to khryslerkid. Off-the-shelf Taylor thundervolts for 440, I use the plastic separators all the way to make them behave...

20171020_152748.jpg

20171020_152730.jpg

If you are trying to clean up the engine compartment look, maybe experiment with putting the wires under the headers. I'm not saying it can be done,i'm not familiar with your headers, but with proper plug boots( it may require an assortment of different ends) it will make them less noticable.
Maybe use old wires or something to simulate the new leads, lay out where you want them to go, then either make a set from universal wire or order a custom set to your specs from firecore.
Great idea! Thanks!

Out of left field here..... I have seen a set of "valve cover covers" which hide the plug wires underneath a cover which goes on top of the valve covers....I think the low-rider crowd does that type of stuff. For me, I prefer the stock-look like you already have.
Thanks, I'll check it out.....

Auto Transport Service
Back