• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Cam type/size opinions and help

pedal2themetal

Local time
4:45 AM
Reaction score
HI,
Getting tired of being whoop on by the 4 bangers and wanting a little more attitude.
What I have is 75 Fury, 318 LA. 30,000 miles on stock bottom end rebuild, True duels exhaust, stock heads. I have a lifter starting to leak down causing an occasional tick, so I'm going to change it out this summer. I'm going to have different rear gears put in I'm looking as 3.0 or 3.2's limited slip..
I'm not sure what cam I should run. Not sure what lift the stock heads can handle. Here's a list of what I've been looking at.

Comp. Cam's
Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 268/280, Lift .477/.480, Mopar, Small Block, Kit

Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 274/286, Lift .488/.491, Mopar, Small Block, Kit

Cam and Lifters, Timing, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Adv. Duration 262/270, Lift .462/.470, Mopar, 273-360, Kit

Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 279/296, Lift .486/.473, Mopar, Small Block LA, Kit

Cam and Lifters, Mechanical Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 274/280, Lift .502/.511, Mopar, Small Block, Kit

thumpr- Cam and Lifters, Hydraulic Roller Tappet, Advertised Duration 283/303, Lift .513/.498, Mopar, Small Block LA

Cam and Lifters, Mechanical Flat Tappet, Advertised Duration 274/280, Lift .502/.511, Mopar, Small Block, Kit

Ok Thanks in advance Sorry so many I just don't know where to go..

thanks take care be safe
tim

I had a '74 Mercury Cougar XR7, 351 Cleveland w FMX 3 speed automatic. It was a 4,200lb car. I invested a few grand easily and 4 yrs trying to make a "brick" daily driver (only car) go fast. It never did. I don't know the weight of a '75 Fury, but I'd bet it's heavy and you will always get spanked by modern 4 bangers unless you step up to big block, much steeper gears, torque converter etc.... a 318 to push that weight to power difference is gonna take more wallet than I have and I'd venture more than you are willing to spend.

You need a mountain of torque to get that car moving and a 318 just won't cut it. Not in the fashion you're wanting to do. Those 4 bangers have you beat in the weight to power department. ruffcut

I would recommend your 1st or 3rd cam you listed. Not enough gear for any more duration i.m.o. . Good luck.

Install a higher torque convertor and 3.23 and get a nitrous kit...or just do the nitrous! :steering:

Screenshot_20240515_182140_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Cam and Lifters, Timing, Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Adv. Duration 262/270, Lift .462/.470, Mopar, 273-360, Kit

Everything else on your list is too large.

Many other things needed to support that choice as well.

Everything else on your list is too large.

Many other things needed to support that choice as well.
HI,
yeah If I go for one that would be it.. tho the one with the springs as it calls for "requires springs".

Thanks take care be safe
tim

There isn't a cam made that will turn a 318 in a heavy car...into a winner. Nitrous is the only bolt on that would make a substantial improvement.

What intake / carb? and has the distributor be re-curved?
A good tune can make a difference if everything is still stock.
If the engine has the stock valve springs, I would change them, or at least check their pressures / adjust install height if needed (and if it would work?)
I would use the Hughes Engines SEH0610AL-13 with stock compression and converter. Maybe the next size up SEH1016AL-12 with a factory high stall converter (around 2300 rpm)

I would use the Hughes Engines SEH0610AL-13 with stock compression and converter. Maybe the next size up SEH1016AL-12 with a factory high stall converter (around 2300 rpm)
HI, Just wondering why such a small lift cam suggestion? Million show stock replacement of .421 IN .443 EX.. RPM intake, carb QFT 450 will get a bigger carb

thanks take care be safe
tim

HI, Just wondering why such a small lift cam suggestion? Million show stock replacement of .421 IN .443 EX.. RPM intake, carb QFT 450 will get a bigger carb

thanks take care be safe
tim
I think you looked at the "lobe" lift of 0.315/0.320. Multiply that by rocker arm ratio (1.5) for "valve" lift of 0.473"/0.480", or if using a 1.6:1 rocker 0.504"/0.512" valve lift.

As the well known saying goes, "there is no replacement for displacement". AKA, get ahold of a 360 and stroke it or swap to a b/rb. Other than Nitrous, best way to move a heavy car is cubic inches. Or maybe turbo.

My first nitrous introduction was a 68 fury duece 4 Dr, big car, 100,000 MI, my buddies car we put a buck and a quarter shot on, keeping up with 360 darts with aftermarket stuff.
Truly an eye opener

318-2bbl ,I put on an iron 4bbl 650dp for the juice plate

Did some shopping on our nos kit...200hp kit bought it used for 400...basically new and came with a full bottle!
Also did a turbo on a mild 318 in the 90s. It was perhaps 450-500hp and even more torque...I remember flooring it at 20mph and smoking the tires. That was with 6 people in the car and 3.23s!
We did have a lot of fun with the 318 before boost.. thermoquad, headers and a mild cam, 3.23s.
But boost made the 318 run like a built 440 and still got near 20mpg.

Last edited:
Advertised duration really doesn't mean that much. You need to to be looking at the duration @ .050". That is the number that matters.

With what you're describing I would be looking at a cam that has 212/ 218 duration at .050" ground on 110 degrees.

Anymore than that and you'll be over camming it in my book for what you described.

Tom

For the price of a new camshaft I would look for a good drop in 4 bbl 360, then next step is the nitrous plate as above.

Whatever cam you choose but one ground on a Mopar core made for the 903 lifter diameter. Many cam grinders have 903 grinds in their catalog. Howards has them as well as Hughes, Isky, Crower, Jones Cams, etc.

All those shelf cams from Comp, Jeg's etc. are Chevy grinds.

Yes it makes a difference.

Nitrous will certainly help.

You can alsolighten up that big car...

HI,
well from out of no where it has quit the ticking on and off and is quite all the time now.. Maybe a push rod was plugged??

thank you all
Tim

Auto Transport Service
Back