• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for help 65 b body, original auto trans or shifter problem

use2teech

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
reaching out again for idea's. I have a 65 coronet, big block, 727, floor shift console. Original shifter and can't remember but i think I bought new cables from Imperial a couple years ago. Everything was great this summer until just recently, after installing sound system (I ran much of the wiring through the console). Problem I now have is no reverse and no start in Park. After a bunch of screwing around, I removed wiring just in case. No change. Checked shifter adjustment, moved the adjustment cam 500 times or so, still same. Tried holding key to start, turned adjustment cam twice all the way around, still no start, no reverse. Checked and found shift cable not secured under car beneath it's clip. Fixed it, no change. No idea what to look at next. Couple other items of note; when shifting manually, will not go into next gear unless I go just past the gear and let it drop back into desired gear, then it shifts. If I leave in D, will shift 1 to 2 but not into three unless I push shifter just past D and drop it back, then it shifts. I have no Reverse at all. When in park, won't start. When in Reverse, starts but is in neutral. When in neutral, won't start. When it's started, reverse is neutral and so is neutral. Drop into D and it's once again in gear. When I replaced the exterior seals this year, I followed the manual as far as the initial cable reinstall and adjustment procedure on the trans side. everyone is usually helpful so hoping for some suggestions on the next step in trouble shooting. Just about ready to whip out the credit card, buy later model 727 with OD and a different shifter ....but I hate to give up my original shifter.

The starting issue might be the neutral saftey switch, the shifting ,,,,,,,,,,,, if you have readjusted the cable to no avail than it sounds like it stretched.

Thanks. I think the neutral safety is ok. I had just hooked it up for the first time a few weeks before this all happened and was shocked that it worked well. The shifting stuff and no start in Park all happened pretty much at the same time. The cable sounds likely. Would it be the shift cable or the park cable ? Any idea if the cables are available through someplace other than Imperial ? I hate to lose the rest of the summer waiting for a part.

Kill 2 birds with one stone. Drop the pan to adjust cable and verify the rooster comb pushes in the neutral safety switch.:blob1:

Attachments

• 4.13.14 021.jpg
    4.13.14 021.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 4.3.12 (3).jpg
    4.3.12 (3).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 100
  • 4.10.12 034.jpg
    4.10.12 034.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 10.27.12 007.jpg
    10.27.12 007.jpg