• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for recommendation of stainless steel restoration, polishing and repair

if you do it yourself my suggestion is wear gloves.... A buddy was polishing a piece of trim, caught a edge & had the trim ripped out of his hands... He wound up with tendon damage in three fingers and severe cuts in seven fingers.... He was off work for months...

I've polished allot of trim through the years but since that I've found a local guy who does nicer work than I've ever done by myself & he does it for a very fair price....

1 Wild R/T - I am also in California (central coast) and looking for someone that can repair/polish and possibly even duplicate stainless trim (I have a B-body that is missing rocker trim on one side). Who is your local guy (contact info)? Thanks a heap for the help!

1 Wild R/T - I am also in California (central coast) and looking for someone that can repair/polish and possibly even duplicate stainless trim (I have a B-body that is missing rocker trim on one side). Who is your local guy (contact info)? Thanks a heap for the help!

Tim Dalton (209) 988 9708

So of the advice you have received here is good but not all. depends on the quality of condition of your stainless. It is definitely not easy and it takes way longer than what was related too in this forum. I have been doing my own stainless for 30 or more years not every day mind you but as projects or customers arrive. so tips about polishing assuming no repairs are needed, for sure progressive sanding and fileing is a plus but be very conservative when using a file . Find a way to mount your trim to something sturdy so that the buffer doesn't rip it out of your hands a ruin the trim. I use a lite grade of welding gloves and the green compound is the only rouge to use for your stainless steel. The other thing is not all buffing wheels are equal . use a 3 stich wheel as it will it a deeper shine and soften the light scratches and create a more manageable heat range when buffing . the more sanding you do the better off and quicker you will be done not mention less likely to make a big mistake buy buffing threw. lots more to cover . you will find doing any repairs to trim you have to make a lot of your tools , you never pound out dents you gently tap and use a dolly or some type cushion , I have several different types from a pine 2x6 to a piece of a high school wrestling mat. like I said lots to learn . only use a Baldor buffer , check out speeds it makes the difference . you can call if you wish pm me here ill send you phone . got to go packing for Indy . mike sr. Little Detroit Restorations .

Also, for your consideration, Artistic Silver Plating Inc. They do chrome and stainless work for Chuck Foos. Having buffed and struggled with my own stainless, I give them my work now. They are very good at dent removal and straightening. Bring $$$ and be prepared to wait though. Also do excellent chrome resto work - no loss of detail and the repair pitting flawlessly. Ask for Sally.

artisticsilverplating.com
(562) 427-0113
2344 Orange Ave, Long Beach, CA 90755

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I have several cars to complete, so may try them all and see which one I like best!

Auto Transport Service
Back