• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Loosing a towed vehicle.. And not stopping?

Big Bad Dad

Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
Scary Stuff! Make sure what you tow is firmly attached! We were sitting on the back porch this evening. There is a factory about 5 miles up the 4 lane highway that assembles the big bucket trucks like used by power companies. Commonly, you see one of those big white bucket trucks towing a vehicle when leaving the factory. Well tonight, one turned from the highway on to our little winding back road. The road leads to an interstate exit, so still sees a lot of traffic. It made the turn pretty fast, much faster than you usually see big trucks come around that corner. It was towing a mini van. The van broke loose, crossed the road, and smashed into the bank beside my neighbor's driveway. The truck did not slow down or stop, but actually accelerated on down the road! And it did not come back. I called 911, and the Police arrived about an hour later. Still no bucket truck. How do you lose a towed vehicle and not know it?? I'm just thankful no car was in the other lane to be hit head on. Or that the van didn't come loose on the highway and cross the median! I wonder exactly when the driver realized the van was gone, and what crossed his mind??

Breakaway van 2.jpg

He probably was towing his own personal crap with the company truck and decided well the van will be there later if I get cought towing with the company truck I won't have a job later!

Well, my money is on the idea that the bucket truck was STOLEN....seriously.

No, it a common to see transport contractors here picking up the new bucket trucks to deliver them to far away buyers. They always have a small vehicle on a tow bar behind them when they leave the factory. I am in Virginia, and the van has Pennsylvania plates. Also has a sign on back with the company name and the DOT number, etc. The way the truck was driving so fast, I am assuming the guy was in a big hurry, and probably didn't secure the vehicle properly. The Deputies were out there with it quite a while, and it was finally pulled up onto a rollback and left the scene about 3-1/2 hours after the incident. I would say the transport driver is going to have a bad day today......

How about a "funny" update? OP here. The cops didn't show up for over an hour to check it out. I had called my neighbor across the road about it being at his driveway. I was talking to him again today. He said that after he saw two county cop cars go down the highway and not stop, he called it in again.. This time the Deputies actually showed up to check it out and deal with finding the owner, etc. My neighbor told me that they did not respond to my call because the Dispatcher did not believe my story and thought I was a prank caller. I was a little pissed when he told me, but now I am just amazed at the incompetence. It isn't like we are way out in the boonies. The Sheriff's Office and court house is less than 2 miles away, and the damn van was in the ditch about 60 feet off of the major 4 lane highway through our county.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back