• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lost 69 Charger RT/SE

Local time
1:19 AM
Reaction score
So around 1975 my grandfather gave his running and driving 69 Charger RT/SE away to his nephew, who then tore the motor apart and sold it for $50 (cringe). Sometime in the 90's my grandfather got a call from a man in North Carolina, who was asking about the car's specs as they were restoring it. The man's name has been lost to time unfortunately. My grandfather has dimmenia, but he easily can rattle off the details of the car. They include:
Bought in 1971 from a Ford dealer in Wentzville Missouri.
440 4 bbl, 727 Auto
Black with red vertical Bumblebee stripe
SE package with tan bucket seats and tan vinyl roof
Magnum 500 wheels
Here's the one picture with have of it:
DAB036B0-A77E-4944-B391-11314E12E57A_1_201_a.jpeg

Before he gave it away, he rolled it into a shallow ditch and crunched in the left (?) quarter panel. It was fixed eventually, but it likely had a lot of bondo in it.
If you have any idea where the car is, I can be reached at.........(here by Private Conversation) I nor my grandfather are interested in purchasing the car (unless it's a pile and it's like $5000), as we know 2nd gen chargers are insanely high.
No scammers! We only want to know where the car is, what condition it's in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the feeling mine was sold by my brother inlaw in Houston ,said it was stolen. Good luck.

So around 1975 my grandfather gave his running and driving 69 Charger RT/SE away to his nephew, who then tore the motor apart and sold it for $50 (cringe). Sometime in the 90's my grandfather got a call from a man in North Carolina, who was asking about the car's specs as they were restoring it. The man's name has been lost to time unfortunately. My grandfather has dimmenia, but he easily can rattle off the details of the car. They include:
Bought in 1971 from a Ford dealer in Wentzville Missouri.
440 4 bbl, 727 Auto
Black with red vertical Bumblebee stripe
SE package with tan bucket seats and tan vinyl roof
Magnum 500 wheels
Here's the one picture with have of it:
View attachment 1382658
Before he gave it away, he rolled it into a shallow ditch and crunched in the left (?) quarter panel. It was fixed eventually, but it likely had a lot of bondo in it.
If you have any idea where the car is, I can be reached at ................................. I nor my grandfather are interested in purchasing the car (unless it's a pile and it's like $5000), as we know 2nd gen chargers are insanely high.
No scammers! We only want to know where the car is, what condition it's in.
Wow, this is like a cold case mystery from hell! So we really only have ONE picture to go off of; no VIN, registration details, etc? It's crazy when family members get drunk/high then do stupid stuff. I feel for your grandpa because in the late 70s, my cousin toked up several bowls and began taking apart my perfectly good running HD Super Glide and putting the parts in bushel baskets. Good thing I returned before it was all taken apart. Now this may be a tough nut to crack since who knows if the mysterious "North Carolina man from the 90's" restored the car to the original paint color w/ the stripes, same wheels, etc. However, stranger things have happened. I'll be on the lookout for it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is unthinkable now, but then then gas was high, and as you can see his family already had a maverick, beetle and two farm trucks (the gran fury and the polara were his mom's), so it wasn't justifiable to keep a car that got bad MPG. And we have no registration that i know of, I think they were sold with the car, as that's were the restorer got my grandpas name, from a registry paper in the glovebox. I did find a b-body jack unit in one of the machinery sheds, in black with 69 dodge written on it! I think that it would have to be to the charger, our family never had any other 69 dodges of any sort.

Yea, as I recall 75 was near the tail end of the gas shortage/alternate day fillup adventure. Couldn't give BB mopars away. Black with a tan roof and interior has got to be an extremely rare combo.

Would be something if it had been a dukes car, they were buying up all the tan interior cars they could find!

That’s seriously cool. I didnt know they built any like that. Maybe contact MCG and see if they will run the photo and a little blurb for you. It’s unique enough that they might do it.

There's a Mopar show coming up here in North Carolina, I'll see if there's one there that could possibly be the car you're looking for.

Auto Transport Service
Back