• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower ball joint replacement steps

67 WS23

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:06 PM
Reaction score
Question: When replacing the lower ball joint assembly, if supporting the weight of the car with jack stands under the lower control arms is it still necessary to back off the torsion bars like is says in the Dodge shop manual? I can understand if the car is on a lift or supported under the frame rails with jack stands and the lower control arms are just hanging. Thoughts? Thanks all.

hope this helps you
Thanks. I saw that video this morning, then I looked in the shop manual. The man in the video had no issues nor did he play with the torsion bar. I know one would want to back off the torsion bar if the lower arm was hanging unsupported. I guess the shop manual assumed this condition?

hopefully someone else will chime in. I know I would not play with the torsion bar. But that me.

No need to do anything with the torsion bars .

Jack stands under lower control arms .
remove drum ( or rotor ) then remove the 2 lower bolts going thru the spindle / and ball joint . swing spindle out of the way. remove ball joint

TO BE CLEAR: Your original post mentions> "if supporting the weight of the car with jack stands under the lower control arms"...< CAUTION!
You must support the weight of the car by the frame rails. Plus, then support the control arms when unbolting the lower ball joints from the spindle.
If you unbolt the ball joint while the entire car's weight is just being held up by the lower control arm, it ain't going to end well.....
When I did mine, I had the car up on stands, and the floor jack just supporting the control arm, so I could ease the tension off when the ball joint was unbolted.

See #7. The spring load on these cars is on the LCA. The UCA is merely a "follower". Support vehicle on its unitized frame, AND support LCA just enough to prevent any movement.

TO BE CLEAR: Your original post mentions> "if supporting the weight of the car with jack stands under the lower control arms"...< CAUTION!
You must support the weight of the car by the frame rails. Plus, then support the control arms when unbolting the lower ball joints from the spindle.
If you unbolt the ball joint while the entire car's weight is just being held up by the lower control arm, it ain't going to end well.....
When I did mine, I had the car up on stands, and the floor jack just supporting the control arm, so I could ease the tension off when the ball joint was unbolted.
Please explain "if you unbolt the ball joint while the entire car's weight is just being held up by the lower control arm, it ain't going to end well". Since the wheel is off and the spindle is unloaded, there is no load on the lower ball joint, just like there is no load on the tie rod end, correct? The load is under the lower arm. I saw the video in this thread where the man was working the same ball joint assembly on an A body and he supported under the control arm and after the ball joint assembly was unbolted the spindle just swung away. I understand the jack stand under the frame for safety. Is that the concern? Thanks to all for your input.

What's the big deal with backing off the torsion bar?
It takes about 30 seconds. Count the turns when you back it off so you don't have to worry about adjusting ride height when you're finished.
I always back mine off if I'm doing front end work.

Please explain "if you unbolt the ball joint while the entire car's weight is just being held up by the lower control arm, it ain't going to end well". Since the wheel is off and the spindle is unloaded, there is no load on the lower ball joint, just like there is no load on the tie rod end, correct? The load is under the lower arm. I saw the video in this thread where the man was working the same ball joint assembly on an A body and he supported under the control arm and after the ball joint assembly was unbolted the spindle just swung away. I understand the jack stand under the frame for safety. Is that the concern? Thanks to all for your input.
jack stand on car frame and use a jack on LCA

What's the big deal with backing off the torsion bar?
It takes about 30 seconds. Count the turns when you back it off so you don't have to worry about adjusting ride height when you're finished.
I always back mine off if I'm doing front end work.
1 less thing he has to do

jack stand on car frame and use a jack on LCA
In this case should the jack stand be to the rear or in front of the wheel by the K member for better stability? Then either use the jack under the lower arm (spring loaded) or relieve the torsion bar with the arm hanging (spring unloaded). It all makes sense, I usually jack under the K and support under the lower arms when doing brakes, greasing bearings or rotating tires. I keep the floor jack under the K if I'm under the car... Again, thanks to everyone for all the input.

Look at his video again. A couple of times, the camera showed that the car was supported by the frame rail on another jackstand. Yes, he did have a stand under the LCA as well. I used the floor jack so I was able to find the "sweet spot" where there was less tension and friction on the bolts so they could be removed and installed easily. If the upper control arm bushings are tight, it's kind of hard to move it up or down by hand.

This is how I support my Mopars. Jackstand under the front subframe rails. This was my 64 Fury as I was doing the disc brake conversion. I was able to use the floor jack to position the LCA as needed for removing the lower ball joints, as well as supporting the new assembly as it was being put back up into position. Made life easier for me.....
DSC01582.JPG
DSC01608.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back