• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lower Control Arm Pivot Shaft

Toxic Orange 493

Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
I installed new Proforged bushing and PST pivot shafts into my lower control arms. I forgot to take a picture of the pivot shafts before I removed them and it has been a few weeks/months since I toke them out.

Does the bushing get pressed on all the way up to the shoulder on the pivot shaft? The only reason I am asking is since the inner sleeve does not extend all the way up to the shoulder. I stopped pressing them in at the edge of the inner sleeve because I couldn't remember.

I did search the forums and read lots of posts about lower control arms, but couldn't find the answer.
IMG_0915[1].JPG

Normally poly bushings push on up to the shoulder. The thickness of the bushing flange makes me think that it should. If the bushing flange is aproximately 9/16" thick then it needs to go on up to the shoulder.

Normally poly bushings push on up to the shoulder. The thickness of the bushing flange makes me think that it should. If the bushing flange is aproximately 9/16" thick then it needs to go on up to the shoulder.

The flange on the poly bushing is just under 9/16".

I never thought of the fact that the rubber bushing was flush with the lower control arm and the poly bushing sticks out of the lower control arm. Now, it makes sense that the space between the bushing and the shoulder of the pivot shaft is only for rubber bushings.

Thank you!

I just use the OEM bushings and shafts. The large diameter flange part of the shaft does not contact the bushing. The above pics look correct.

So I finally was able to put the k frame and suspension back under the car last week. I was trying to torque the lower control arm pivot shafts, but since I used the polybushings the shaft just spins in the bushing. I know this has been done before, does anyone have suggestions on how to torque them? I was thinking of lightly tapping them into the k frame to set the pivot shaft into the taper and hope it would hold it while I torque it down. But I didn't want to do this before asking.

Ignore the painted torsion bars in the picture below. They will be coming back out and will be replaced with a new set of PST bars when the engine goes in.
IMG_1416.JPG

I was able to get on the backside with long nose vice grips and hold it from spinning. A year later I pulled the damn things out and put rubber ones in cause the poly ones started squeaking.

You need to have the weight of the vehicle on the tires and ride height set close before you tighten the pivot shafts.

Doesn't matter on those polygraphites as they're not locked to the shaft. Nor do they help with the torsion loading at all. I'd be doing as Black 68 did... but BEFORE finishing this assembly.

Auto Transport Service
Back