• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowering front leaf spring location.

Cornpatch MO

Local time
1:11 PM
Reaction score
1968 Satellite. It has new rear leaf springs, but they have settled a bit , and i would like to raise the rear a couple of inches. I do not like longer than stock rear shackles, and would rather not add another leaf. My thought : Drill another front perch leaf spring eye, bolt hole below the stock location. Has anyone done this? How much did it raise the car? Downside to that idea? Thanks for any input...........................MO

I redrilled the front spring eye location on my car, but i did it to alter the instant center location to try to cut down on the rearend (of the car body)lift , on launch. I cant say it did anything noticable to rearend height. Im using ss springs. I didnt even know my car leaned with them, till i went out to measure (to try to prove ss springs didnt lean, lol).

St. Louis spring can rearch them or build ya set for your needs..

Mo , if your just wanting to go up a inch or so order a pair of the over the shock over load springs.
Napa ect.

I did this. Thought the stock stance was a wee bit low. Probably dropped the hole an inch or so which raised the rear about 1/2 of that. No meaningful change to pinion angle, maybe 1.5 degrees down extra. Air shocks or shackles do the same in the other direction (as does re-arching). You might find that you need to extend the wheelbase 1/8” or so because the front of the spring will hit the studs if you don’t, again no real difference. Car drives great before and after.

1968 Satellite. It has new rear leaf springs, but they have settled a bit , and i would like to raise the rear a couple of inches. I do not like longer than stock rear shackles, and would rather not add another leaf. My thought : Drill another front perch leaf spring eye, bolt hole below the stock location. Has anyone done this? How much did it raise the car? Downside to that idea? Thanks for any input...........................MO
Hi, Steve! I don't know if you remedied this or not. When I owned that car, I knew for a fact the rear springs had sagged, badly. I'd recommend re-arching them or replacing them. As it was only a 318 car from the factory, it doesn't have the heavier springs like the 440, Hemi or Track Pak cars would have had. Also, you're going to want to replace the spring eye bushings. Good luck and hope all is well with the Plymouth!

10352274_838354159517752_2949232468555682476_n_zpsolvi8pcs.jpg

I put Mopar Performance SS/D leaves on my '72 Satellite wagon years ago. Was under it the other day, and the front spring perches came with the springs (springs were shorter front to rear or something, compared to stock), and those perches have three or four holes in them for height adjustment. I'd have to go look at which spot I've got them installed in, though...sits OK, even with the air shocks totally worn out and flat.

Back in the "Day" '69 to '79, I remember a problem with the new Mopar's having a problem with the pinion snubber hitting the floor. I remember replacing a bunch of front spring Hangers under warranty, the replacements had the hole about an inch lower than the originals. Can't remember the exact model that had this, and I can't remember what I had for breakfast!!!!....LK

Back in the "Day" '69 to '79, I remember a problem with the new Mopar's having a problem with the pinion snubber hitting the floor. I remember replacing a bunch of front spring Hangers under warranty, the replacements had the hole about an inch lower than the originals. Can't remember the exact model that had this, and I can't remember what I had for breakfast!!!!....LK
That's funny! The whole idea of a pinion snubber is that it works (if it works AT ALL!) against the floor. It would have been a whole lot easier to remove the useless piece of s#!t, than work to make sure that it didn't work.

Auto Transport Service
Back