• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lubes have gotten so expensive, what do you use in rear?

Superb Bee

Local time
4:19 PM
Reaction score
I have used everything off my shelves and actually have to buy some lube, we are getting ready to install a 4 speed and dana in a project, in the 833 I have always used api/gl4 sta-lube which is still available always used just under a gallon but over 3 qts, that's only $28, but I just had my buddies son paint the rear end housing and we got it all back together and I want to fill the rear, I went to the shelf and have no where near enough to fill it, I have 4 or 5 cans of the delco limited slip additive (always used the delco stuff), but not enough 75/140 gl5.

Price it looks grim, $60 and up for names I know, what are you guys using in your danas?

looks like the most fair price for a name I know is the lucas 75/140 synthetic gear oil, anyone use this? I would like to be around $30 a gallon but that doesn't look possible.

Is there some new stuff that is better and cost effective, any idea of what other guys are using will be helpful. thank you

In my rears I run Walmarts supertech brand. That's what Dr Diff runs and recommends...

A833 I run sta lube also recommend and sold by Brewers. You can buy it through amazon cheaper.

Synthetics blah blah blah....They find ways to leak out in these old brutes.....

I agree they are expensive, but you're a perfectionist and spending $100 for the rear end after you've spent. $XXXXX on the rebuild seems moot. Kinda like the fat lady who spends half a day at the buffet, but drinks a diet coke. Lol

Not knocking you SB. Your definitely my go to for info on Super Bees. :thumbsup:

I use old-school dino lube with friction additive.....the Ford additive. It's cheap.

Last edited:
I agree they are expensive, but you're a perfectionist and spending $100 for the rear end after you've spent. $XXXXX on the rebuild seems moot. Kinda like the fat lady who spends half a day at the buffet, but drinks a diet coke. Lol

Not knocking you SB. Your definitely my go to for info on Super Bees. :thumbsup:
I agree, $100 is a drop in the bucket when restoring a mopar, and if it has to be spent, then heck it has to be spent, but if there is something cheaper that guys are using I would love to know about it, on the other hand something that costs more that is better I also have no problem going for.

also some fat girls just like the taste of diet coke better and I am not speaking from experience, I am not and have never been a fat girl, and when I was dating them diet coke did not exist, good old fashioned coke with real sugar bottled in the USA... probably by Mexicans.

I just put in Mopar 80w90 and Mopar sure grip additive in the 67 8 3/4. 40 bucks OTD, ouch. Doing my part to support FCA.

Last stuff I bought was
Castrol Hypoid Gear Lube, from Summit Racing it's pricey IIRC
it was well over 5 years ago now,
Used it in both my Trucks & my RR
I'm not sure it's even made anymore, but
I still have the better half of a case left...

Auto Transport Service
Back