• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lubing wiper pivot shafts

1KoolBee

Local time
4:04 AM
Reaction score
So I’m in the process of replacing the wiper pivot seals in my satellite, and I’m trying to figure out how to lube the shafts . The retainer on the wiper end appears crimped on so removing it appears to be a destructive process. I’ve also heard of drilling the side of the housing and installing a Zerk fitting. Anyone done this? I’ appreciate any guidance from someone who has done this successfully

IMG_4590.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I've drilled a few and put small zerk's in them. The first thing to do is clean them really well - soak, rinse, soak, rinse, etc. Make sure they are freed up and turn easily. Then dry them really good - blow out the housings. There isn't much space between the shaft and the housing so go easy with the drill. You WILL have metal chips fall inside so this is why you want them clean and dry - so you can shake the debris out the holes !! When you thread in the zerks you haven't got much space to play with and can't put them in too deep or they'll bind the shafts, so don't use too big of a drill bit. And after screwing in the zerks, take them out and get rid of the debris again before installing the zerks a final time.

You'll likely only grease these once in your lifetime - but you need to install the zerks to do it. The factory greased them before assembly.

I soaked mine in a pan of marvel mystery oil for several days and reassembled the wiper transmission and new seals. That was over five years ago and I test the wipers every so often to cycle the mechanism. No issues.

Auto Transport Service
Back