• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lubrication for A833 tranny

69 Charger

Local time
5:18 AM
Reaction score
Hi, Guys and Gals -

I am the original owner of a 1969 Dodge Charger, 383 HP engine, 4-speed tranny. I have just pulled the tranny and engine for a rebuild after 178,283 miles. I noted in the Dodge workshop manual that the fluid specified for the 4-speed tranny is ATF. Is that correct? That ain't what I drained out of mine. The car has been stored since 1996 (started and warmed up occasionally), so it has been a very long time, if ever, that I changed the fluid in the gearbox. Seems strange that a manual gearbox would require ATF. After all, AT is "Automatic Transmission".

Thanks for the input!
Steve Byers
XP29H9B280166
Havelock, NC

Yes people do use ATF but I would not.
Oil tech has come a long way since that factory manual was written.
Years ago people put ATF in manual trans if it had problems shifting in cold weather. Oil companies over the years come up with oils that resolved those issues.
Stick to the Dan Brewer recommendation.

I’ve heard of people using ATF but I don’t know how they keep it contained inside these leaky old-design transmissions.

Lubrication for A833 tranny

intro-import.jpg

I’ve heard of people using ATF but I don’t know how they keep it contained inside these leaky old-design transmissions.

The factory was using atf in the late 70s. You should have seen my reaction when servicing the new models at the dealership. Removed the fill plug and... what the heck?

Auto Transport Service
Back