• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lunati Voodoo 10230700 253/258 208/213 .454/.454 LSA 112 ICL 108

Aeronet

Local time
8:43 AM
Reaction score
Is this a fast rate hydraulic cam? Anybody run one of these?
I have a '72 standard bore 400 with pocket ported 213 heads that replaced the blown '73 400 HP engine. Car is a '73 Charger SE with 727 and 489 8 3/4 with 2.76 gears. I'm using the original '73 HP exhaust manifolds, intake and Thermoquad. Car has A/C and power disc brakes.

not any faster rate than a chevy lobe just uses the larger radius of the mopar lifter to get more area
There are higher rate hyd cams for the race crowd
do you have a compression check
that cam would work for low compression, stock gears and converter
the overlap is small enough to work
for example we were discussing the crower HDP271 in another thread which uses a 12 lobe center which helps it work with the stock exhaust
in your case you need early intake close for dynamic compression and minimum overlap or the manifolds
running headers you would get a different answer either the 250 or 256

Is this a fast rate hydraulic cam? Anybody run one of these?
I have a '72 standard bore 400 with pocket ported 213 heads that replaced the blown '73 400 HP engine. Car is a '73 Charger SE with 727 and 489 8 3/4 with 2.76 gears. I'm using the original '73 HP exhaust manifolds, intake and Thermoquad. Car has A/C and power disc brakes.

I guess I don't understand or know the definition of a fast rate hydraulic cam, because for the cam referenced, I would say yes it is. For me, any hydraulic cam that goes from seat duration to 0.050" duration in 44° or less is pretty fast.

not any faster rate than a chevy lobe just uses the larger radius of the mopar lifter to get more area
for example we were discussing the crower HDP271 in another thread which uses a 112 lobe center which helps it work with the stock exhaust
in your case you need early intake close for dynamic compression and minimum overlap or the manifolds
the 250 would also work for you
you can draw a big circle and map the intake closes and the overlaps

for example we were discussing the crower HDP271 in another thread which uses a 112 lobe center which helps it work with the stock exhaust
Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. I don't want a fast rate cam. I just want something similar to the factory standard engine cam. The car is a driver not a racer.

I got the Lunati 10230704LK Voodoo flat tappet for my street 440 build. The 704 has a little more lift than the 700 cam. Nice lumpy idle cam for this application.

Last edited:

Hmmm. What Chevy lobe has something close to a 253/208 and 0.454" lift?

Compare the Lunati 10230700 that the OP is asking about to the Engle K-52HYD. The numbers are almost exactly the same (254°/209° w/ .458"). Here is what Engle says: "K grinds are new aggressive profiles designed for the .904" diameter lifter......These profiles will not fit GM, or Ford...."

Again, what's the definition of fast rate?

Last edited:
What chevy lobe...would have to be really fast rate

I just want something similar to the factory standard engine cam.
Woah
The factory cam was designed back in the 60's when valve springs and computer design were not near what they are today
They have really long- un-neessarily long ramps especially on the close side
the 440 magnum cam is a 280 class cam using comp type .006 measuring or a 290 using crane .004 and for that duration you do not get much lift
and it sucks in a low compression motor and runs hot
The voodoo's are only about 10 years old- designer UDHarold died around 2015
put together without excessive spring pressure they wear just fine
the factory cams with the wide lca close the intake late and even with the 114 lca have more overlap than you need
I have a Mike Jones 256 cam in a 9.5 440 with HP exhausts with about 30 years on it
if you want to pay up for the best

What chevy lobe...would have to be really fast rate

I just want something similar to the factory standard engine cam.
Woah
The factory cam was designed back in the 60's when valve springs and computer design were not near what they are today
They have really long- un-neessarily long ramps especially on the close side
the 440 magnum cam is a 280 class cam using comp type .006 measuring or a 290 using crane .004 and for that duration you do not get much lift
and it sucks in a low compression motor and runs hot
The voodoo's are only about 10 years old- designer UDHarold died around 2015
put together without excessive spring pressure they wear just fine
the factory cams with the wide lca close the intake late and even with the 114 lca have more overlap than you need
I have a Mike Jones 256 cam in a 9.5 440 with HP exhausts with about 30 years on it
if you want to pay up for the best
Factory cam: I meant in the power band of a factory standard engine cam. I've read many of your posts over the last couple of years and I get that the factory cams are for higher compression engines and are lazy and close the intake late and run hot. I get it. I listen to your advice. I just don't want a fast rate cam that is going to be noisy and be a crap shoot whether it wears out, or gets wiped, real fast. For a shelf cam the Voodoo
253/258 seems good. Maybe I should get a hold of Mike Jones. I don't want to cheap out. I'm trying to figure out what is a good solid reliable cam to replace the unknown "Street Hemi" grind that I've been living with for the last 20 years.
You are the one that steered me away from the factory Magnum cam that the car originally came with. Then I started looking at the standard engine cam (sealed power cs-327), you said it is lazy and closes the intake too late. The Voodoo series seems to be the latest technology for these engines. I just wanted to know if a Voodoo cam was going to give me grief or not. Once again, thank you.

The voodoo's 704 is a great cam, no regrets!
Thanks, but bigger than I can use. I don't have the compression, gears, or converter to make use of it. I think the Voodoo 700 will be my best bet. Good to know that a Lunati Voodoo won't cause me grief like a Comp Cams XE might.

Well Mike says the Voodoo (or was it Lunati) were the best shelf cams
OK
but you have a choice of Lobe centers with about 3 cams that would work
Howard also has one with a different lobe center
now Lobe centers should be a result not an imput
do try and plot a circle with intake open and ex close and intake open so you can see the differences
or ask Mike
on my cam (which I think was done by his older brother Rick) we used a longer exhaust with about the same lift as the intake
On a heavy motorhome he would have used the same lobe on intake and exhaust do get even less overlap
cheers

lunati
250-256 ic 53 abdc 19 ovlp
253-258 54.5 20.5
256=262 56 25
all have same lc and icl 112/108
just representative as lobes are asymetrical
doing this helps more if lcas and intake installed centerlines are different
you CAN feel 3 degrees

I think your over complicating things. Give him a suggestion instead.

lunati
250-256 ic 53 abdc 19 ovlp
253-258 54.5 20.5
256=262 56 25
all have same lc and icl 112/108
just representative as lobes are asymetrical
doing this helps more if lcas and intake installed centerlines are different
you CAN feel 3 degrees

could be rumble
he has to figure out where he wants his torque curve
many on this site knee jerk recommending "advance 4 degrees"
here we hav 3 3 degrees apart so pick the right one in the first place
I could go back over comp, gears, converter, weight etc but op is only one who is responsible for how he wants it to drive
or aj could do his thing
do we have accurate compression- ? Id have to look
cheers
I just like looking at the above kind of data rather than .050 which i consider way too coarse
obviously with more compression you would look at another set
or would you stick with rpm range?

Lunati VooDoo hyd cams are fast rate in my book.

If you do a search, you will find that some people have the same complaints with them that others have with the XE cams.

Last edited:
not any faster than the 268 comp and they close the valve easier
but you are correct compared to the white box cams or factory
and slightly more than MP

we could add the 262 Lunati to the list of incremental changes
but the 268 goes to a 11O LCA which keeps the intake close within about a degree of the 262 but the overlap takes a big jump
would not want it with stock manifolds and lunati says "needs headers" They're right

The 255-261 Howards also has a 110LCA which gets the intake closed earlier (about where the 250 and 253 Lunati close) )106 ICL instead of 108) but increases the overlap so I did not mention for this stock exhaust build.
I might think the howards as quicker rate

Powerband: idle to 3,000. Car is geared so 65mph=~2,350 rpm. Lots of highway driving around here. Speed limits generally 55-75 mph.
Torque converter is a Napa medium stall unit.
Manifolds, not going to headers. Not changing to lower gears.
I don't want a noisy cam, therefore I don't want a really fast rate cam.
The 253 Voodoo looks like a step up over the '72 and up standard engine cam. Seems like it ought to fit my needs. I do have concerns with fast rate cams and todays motor oils.
I'd like an engine that goes when I give it the gas without waiting for the rpms to come like the cam in there (current cam doesn't start making power until 2,000 rpm).
I'm kind of surprised nobody has used the 253 Voodoo.

Hard to compare the factory cam with aftermarket
The 250 or 230 Lunati will work fine
degree it in
have it fire right away and run at break in speed for awhile
use break in oil
want a little extra protection use lube saver lifters
I think Crower or Rhodes and others have them
a little flat on the side from the band down to about an 1/8 from the face helps to oil
do not go nuts on your spring pressure
IDK why not the 253 it's just that lunate has 3-4 grouped really close together compared to most other shelf cams
if you are antsy about it go to jones cams and fill out his cam request card for street
his 256 cam will outperform anything else in this class
his lobe is the only one designed specifically for a Mopar with an iron manifold 4bbl with stock exhaust- was for a 440 low compression but works fine in LA also
although with exhaust lobe changes it is pretty versatile
downside is the cost and the wait
but you get what you pay for
which is sort of unusual these days
Jones says best shelf cam is the Lunati and I'll go with what he says

Auto Transport Service
Back