• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magazine Article: c.1970 Duster with a Stroker in 1970?

sam dupont

Local time
3:19 AM
Reaction score
In a thread about toys, the 451 was brought up. Then there was speculation as to when the combo was first done. As a kid, I had a magazine that had a Duster build with a 440 crank in a low deck. I spent some time on google looking for it, but hopefully somebody has the article. It was a how-to. He had it on a dyno, but it kept climbing off. They filled the trunk with engine parts to keep it on. It was a small bumper car and as I remember, he had to change the K member.

I don't have the article as I loaned my mags to a friend and when I wanted them back, he said I gave them to him. Wouldn't give them back. I should call him. We were very good friends at one time. Now that I think about it, he used to steal from junk yards at night. I helped him once, and never again.

Does this article ring a bell for anyone?

My uncle has the magazine (I remember reading it in '83 or '84 when I stayed over the summer). It was a 511" build. Don't rely too much on my memory, but I seem to remember it used a welded & reground crank.

I had a bastard stroker combo way back in the early 80's
maybe 1981-1982
it was
a Ohio Crankshaft old T/AD 4.25" billet retired counter-balanced crank
(lathed the crank counterbalances down to 7.120" & grind out the block
for rod clearances)
IIRC I used
460-FE Ford (is 4.36" std bore)
from Venolia (Joe Pisano he gave me)
I think I use 4.39" 0.030" bore (for a Ford 460)
IIRC for a 513-514cid
some 'off the shelf forged pistons', he had
we were walking around the warehouse one night...
I think we had to do a lil' surfacing off the top too...
I can't 100% remember the exact combo...
So I didn't buy or have to wait for custom slugs...
I used off the shelf, I can't remember the exact bore,
I think it was 0.030" over (for the Ford size)
it'd be 0.070" for a BBM/440 RB
but the pin/compression height 1.770" (IIRC maybe)
was near perfect for
the rod length & stroke
I can't 100% remember what rod I used now either
Probably a Child & Alberts or Venolia Rods too (gave to me/sponsored)

it was fast as hell, great combo
not many people were doing strokers yet
not really any street guys, especially not BB Wedge Mopars

Lots of professional & semi-professional sportsman T/AD racers
had been for some time, Arias (GM Hemi) or Milodons (Chrys)
Pro-Stocker too (since like 1972-73ish)
Easy peasy if you had a Chevy or a Hemi,
buy used good T/AD cast-offs

For Chryslers wedges
there were welded up cranks &
offset ground strokers, with Chevy/GM 2" journals
not many of them either
but that was only like 0.200" stroker 3.95" stroke
would only be like a 471cid @ 4.38" (@ 0.60" over) bore x 3.95" stroke
there was a few of them around
don't see them much anymore now

carry on

Last edited:
In a thread about toys, the 451 was brought up. Then there was speculation as to when the combo was first done. As a kid, I had a magazine that had a Duster build with a 440 crank in a low deck. I spent some time on google looking for it, but hopefully somebody has the article. It was a how-to. He had it on a dyno, but it kept climbing off. They filled the trunk with engine parts to keep it on. It was a small bumper car and as I remember, he had to change the K member.

I don't have the article as I loaned my mags to a friend and when I wanted them back, he said I gave them to him. Wouldn't give them back. I should call him. We were very good friends at one time. Now that I think about it, he used to steal from junk yards at night. I helped him once, and never again.

Does this article ring a bell for anyone?
Can you remember what magazine? I have a extensive magazine library.
Mike

Ported and relieved,stroked and bored. They were doing that to flat heads back in the 50's.
Yes I remembered that article too.Early to mid 80's.Because of that article I built mine in 1999.The first ones were the 400 block and 440 ground crank and were called 452's
Then later the designation 451 took over. Best running engine I ever had.Still going strong.

Hot Rod had an article on a stroked Duster, the article was called "countdown 5-1-1" or something like that. The car ran at Irwindale as I remember and had panel painting on the side, late 70's. I have the magazine but they're all disorganized right now after a move.

Mike,
I wish I could. I tried googling all the big ones.

Darter
I'm pretty sure it was circa early 70's. I got my first car and all my money started going to tires, clutch plates, and occasional speed parts, not magazines. Those were free at the Library.

Auto Transport Service
Back