• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magic, we don't need no stinkin' magic.

SteveSS

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
I've been immersing myself in theoretical physics lately. The stuff we know and don't quite know is better than any magic from any Harry Potter fairytale. I mean we didn't know gravity until 350 years ago. It affects everything from subatomic particles to the entire known universe. We still don't know everything about the gravity in black holes bending light and time. Harry Potter can ride a broom. Big deal. In a short time, we'll send people to Mars!

There is SO MUCH more we are discovering, pertaining to the laws of the universe. Quantum and string theories blow my mind.

Sorry, I used to know how to fix typos in my titles but I forget how..

Aside from reading a lot of Richard Feynman's books, just for curiosity, I haven't really researched any kind of physics.

Hope I live long enough to see what this new telescope sends back.....

this is right up my alley
:lol: ....words not to use when discussing astronomy....

upload_2022-1-12_18-6-36.jpeg

:rolleyes:

Steve, you might like You Tube channel "kathy loves physics & history"
https://www.youtube.com/c/KathyLovesPhysicsHistory

More biography and history than theory, but interesting background information.
She reminds me of my physics professor when I was in school.

The stuff we know is good enough for government work, but there is a reason they are theories.
Many widely accepted "theories" have been wrong (Sun revolves around Earth, Earth is flat, ...)
All we can do is keep searching for the truth :thumbsup:

AHH, Physics. I recall my 1st year in engineering school. 3 quarters of physics classes. A test every Friday, results posted Monday. 1st quarter results averaged about 55%, 2nd quarter about 37%, 3rd quarter about 20%. So, let's ask the question, are the students that stupid OR is the professor that poor of a teacher? It seemed to me the goal was not to teach but to flunk out as many as possible. In 50 years since then, when the school asks for money, I give $0. However, the State still gives them untold millions every year, tax dollars.

I've been immersing myself in theoretical physics lately. The stuff we know and don't quite know is better than any magic from any Harry Potter fairytale. I mean we didn't know gravity until 350 years ago. It affects everything from subatomic particles to the entire known universe. We still don't know everything about the gravity in black holes bending light and time. Harry Potter can ride a broom. Big deal. In a short time, we'll send people to Mars!

There is SO MUCH more we are discovering, pertaining to the laws of the universe. Quantum and string theories blow my mind.

Travelling to Mars is really just improvements on 50-60 year old technology.

String theory, multiverses, and uncertainty are truly mind blowing. ...... cue "Twilight Zone" theme song.

AHH, Physics. I recall my 1st year in engineering school. 3 quarters of physics classes. A test every Friday, results posted Monday. 1st quarter results averaged about 55%, 2nd quarter about 37%, 3rd quarter about 20%. So, let's ask the question, are the students that stupid OR is the professor that poor of a teacher? It seemed to me the goal was not to teach but to flunk out as many as possible. In 50 years since then, when the school asks for money, I give $0. However, the State still gives them untold millions every year, tax dollars.[/QUO

I truly believe some curriculums are weed out classes. I didn't need Calc III, Chem III, and Physics III for my master's degree in Geology but it was required. Other majors have the same dumb requirements. I didn't need 4 semesters of English and History to get a Design/Illustration degree but it was reqired.

My son tells me "Rocket Science" is easy math. You know the force of gravity. You calculated the thrust of your engine. You know the weight of your rocket and payload. and how high up you plan to send the rocket. Boom you're in orbit. I think this is how he described it to me.

I also remember something about having more computing power in your car than they did on the early space missions, and they were referring to your garage door opener.

My son tells me "Rocket Science" is easy math. You know the force of gravity. You calculated the thrust of your engine. You know the weight of your rocket and payload. and how high up you plan to send the rocket. Boom you're in orbit. I think this is how he described it to me.

I also remember something about having more computing power in your car than they did on the early space missions, and they were referring to your garage door opener.

It is interesting that the early space program relied on the computing power between the ears!! Now it's in your phone.

There are also variables to add to the equation, such as the increase in acceleration each second as the weight of propellant is used up and the starting weight of the rocket gets lighter, and the atmospheric drag reduction with altitude.

My son was doing a calculus project, so he took 2 timeslips from my charger, both 11.40s ,but one was a nitrous 440, and one was an N/A 383. Way different 60's and way different mphs.
He found that you couldn't easily plot them in a linear graph.
I said, welcome to drag racing.

Auto Transport Service
Back