• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Magnum headed LA conversion worth it?

Jerseys Finest

Local time
4:54 PM
Reaction score
I've got a spare LA 360 block in my yard and just read an Engine masters build where they built a stock displacement 318 and made 425 hp with Engine Quest lightning heads (magnum design),new pistons,cam and an eddy rpm air gap,I'm just trying to get opinions on whether its worth swapping the heads or just get a set of rhsXindy heads,and what kind of numbers can I get from a similar build with the rhs iron heads.

I think it best to send you over to talk with Brian from IMM engines out of Cali. to have a word or two with him since IIRC, that was his engine that your talking about. He is well knowledged on those heads and has done a few 360 RHS headed engines with excellent results.

Look OU812 @ http://www.forabodiesonly.com/ and tell'em Rumble sent ya.

He's a good fella.

Thanks,just a quick question would I be able to run a roller setup on my 73 block or do I need to find a later 360 or magnum block?

You can run a roller cam without issue, though the exact roller tappet part number(s) to use currently escape me since most do not fit or cause problems. IMO, it would be best to contact Brain of IMM engines over at FABO under the screen name of "OU812" where as he can help you out easy on a roller part selection.

He himself has worked with Comp Cams on designing there roller lifter that "Actually Works" in a small block Mopar. Tell'em rumble sent ya over.

P.S., you may need to sign up at FABO like you did here from scratch. While it is a minor pain, all screen names should be able to be transferred over as well as pass words for ease of signing up and re-logging back on. It's well worth the 5 minutes to sign up. Brain is a good fella and he'll do you up and do ya right.

Alright I'll do that when I get home,I just left the junkyard and found 2 magnum motors a 318 and 360 that I can get for dirt cheap

The only thing about a Magnum engine is the inability to run oil to the old heads via a passage way in the block into the bottom of the head to feed the shaft and rockers.

IF I was doing a "Magnum" engine, for heads, I'd look into the MP R/T heads. These heads are NOT found on R/T trucks.

Earlier pre-Magnum engines that are roller cammed have the oil passage still in use to oil through the head. Go with the 360.

I thought the rhs and iron ram heads were magnum designs with an la intake patterns? Wouldn't that solve the oiling issue

There are heads that are a combo of both. Magnum valve train and "LA" attachment. This would work. IIRC, the RHS head is not one of these heads. I do not remember which head is. Sorry.

FWIW, MoPar used to sell them (HyBreds) new. Look into it.

Auto Transport Service
Back