• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mancini LCA pivot shaft problems

copper67sat

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:25 AM
Reaction score
I am going through the front suspension on my 67 Satellite. The threads on one of the LCA pivot shafts looked a bit boogered so I bought new ones from Mancini Racing, p/n MRE2808579. I went to install the. Bushings today and ran into a problem.

Pressing the bushing onto the shaft is usually pretty easy, but this one went on about 1/2 and then wouldn't go further. I pulled it out of my press and can see that the shaft is scraping on the I.D. of the bushing sleeve and the sleeve material is raised.

20240224_135138.jpg

Comparing originals to the Mancini version, i see 2 issues. First, originals have a bevel on the end, Mancini's do not. The Mancini shafts also measured 2 mils larger in dia.

20240224_154449.jpg
20240224_154650.jpg
20240224_154711.jpg

Has anyone seen similar issues with the Mancini parts? Looks like I'll be going back to my originals.

Also, any tricks to remove the new shaft and salvage the bushing? Looks like I'd have to somehow anchor the inner sleeve to press the shaft back out. It tries to pull the rubber out if I just anchor the outer sleeve. Probably easier to just get another bushing.

20240224_161755.jpg

I would have to imagine that the new bushing is toast.

There is more going on than 2 thou!
Yes but a lot less than 2 mil!
Should have beveled them first. Oh well.

Keep pressing it on until they're good. Or not good.

.002 is quite a bit of difference on a press fit.
That plus the sharp corner will put a stop to assembly.

Yes but a lot less than 2 mil!
Should have beveled them first. Oh well.

Keep pressing it on until they're good. Or not good.
Unfortunately, I didn't notice the ends weren't beveled until I had the problem otherwise, I would have hit it with the grinder first. I tried to press on, literally, but it broke the piece of pipe I had over the threaded section of the shaft that I was using to press it onto the bushing.

If you are not going to use the Mancini part, cut off the shaft sticking out of the bush. To save the bushing, find a washer or collar that fits over the shaft & press out the shaft from the reverse side. Use some grease when fitting new bushings.

If you are not going to use the Mancini part, cut off the shaft sticking out of the bush. To save the bushing, find a washer or collar that fits over the shaft & press out the shaft from the reverse side. Use some grease when fitting new bushings.
You never use grease on that type of bushing.

Auto Transport Service
Back