• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manifold heat riser ....remove or repair?

Durandal25

Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Team,

My 67 coronet has a gimpy manifold heat riser.....it really never gets too cold here.....but should I remove it?

I just did mine yesterday with the repair kit. Came out perfect !!

I have seen them welded open , wired open, removed and holes welded, or the flapper cut out and leave the shaft. I had one that flopped like a "politician" ( :lol:)and I just wired it open but I was young and poorer then and that fixed it so it was fine. Its really how correct you want to be and how much effort you want to get into fixing it.

Personally I would fix it. I like my cars as designed. It could be as simple as a missing or broken spring.

I've always removed mine and then used a nut and bolt with some RTV around it to seal each side. But as mentioned if you want it to look somewhat correct then remove the internal flap and then just tack the outside mechanism in the "open" position.

Team,

My 67 coronet has a gimpy manifold heat riser.....it really never gets too cold here.....but should I remove it?
I removed mine back in 1983. Never had any issues with not having it there.

I removed mine too.
I think that was before there was a repair kit. I would do the repair kit if I was still using the manifolds.

Auto Transport Service
Back