• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

manual steering box interchage?

6T5

Local time
4:49 PM
Reaction score
What year and models fit 1965 Satellite? (with no pitman arm or coupler change)?

A, c,e body? or just B body?

As always, thanks much

I believe my brother used an A-body manual box on his 64 Fury. I bought mine of E-bay for a good price and really dont remember what it is off. But I believe most A and B body boxes from the 60's will work on your car. Lets hope an expert on this chimes in as like I say I think they are all the same other then some have different ratio's but lets get an expert opinion on this. Ron

thanks Ron,

I've been poking around the internet and it may be that my power steering column will need a different coupler

Anyone know for sure?

You will need a different coupler on any Mopar model when you change between a power steering and manual box. You can find the right coupler on eBay for a fair price. Usually they will have a guide that tells you which model it applies to. As for what year? I think about any B Body works. It shouldn't be hard to find a 65 just to be sure you get the right setup. I always have mine rebuilt at Firm Feel when I buy used steering boxes. And they can tell you what years and models fit see > http://www.firmfeel.com/ Great guys up there in Washington.

The difference is the manual box is shorter so with manual steering cars they have a longer steering shaft. But you can do what I did and just buy the extender adapter. Here is a pic of it on my car as its the gray piece coming off the steering box about 2 to 3 inches long. I bought mine from Mancini's and it will bolt right in. Ron

184245291.jpg

thanks Ron, how does your car steer around parking lots and tight, slow corners? What diameter is your steering wheel?

Sorry I did not get right back to you but I sent you a PM. Ron

I believe the '73 and up boxes have a larger output shaft also.

Auto Transport Service
Back