• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual transmission help

66bluewhale

Local time
8:37 AM
Reaction score
Can I get help decoding this a833. I bout it at the Pomona swap meet a while back for my charger. The sticker says it's an a833 4 speed OD with hurst comp + shifter. I just want to verify I bought it with out doing any research, I just went out looking for a transmission. I would like to attach it to a 440. Which bell housing would I be looking for and is there an after market kit for pedals, linkages to go from auto to manual that some one would recommend.
Thank you for any help

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

If it's an overdrive, it's probably an aluminum case from the later 70's. Usually found on A and F bodies, and later on vans and trucks as well. B body cars had longer tailshafts than A body. The bell housing that you need will depend on what you're going to use it for. A big block, for example, will need a big block bell housing. Then you'll have to decide whether you're getting the 11" or 10.5" flywheel and get the bell housing that matches.

Check the 'for sale' forum here to look for used pedals and linkages. If you want new, try starting with some place like Passion http://www.passonperformance.com/about-us

If I remember correctly I think he did say something about it being pulled out of a truck. I can still put it in my charger right?

It's going to be for a big block. What are the differences between 11 and 10.5 fly wheel?

That appears to be an aluminum case OD unit and not the best thing to put behind a 440 but it will get you by if you don't beat on it relentlessly. The B/E body tail shaft and Hurst box are probably the highest value items on it. Those are 308 bearing trannys too. But beware of the case as it may be junk. Myself I will never buy another used aluminum case tranny unless it's completely apart. The cluster gear shaft floats in the case and over time and abuse can wallow out the hole. Once this happens you can either throw away the case, machine it for a bushing or use an iron case as a replacement. The iron case may require clearancing for the large OD gear on the cluster. I hope you didn't pay much for it. This tranny will fit on any 833 bell housing.

That flipped lever is a dead give away for OD. Someone could have flipped it too though. 4th is direct and 3rd is OD but the lever is flipped. Also I think it has a huge input bearing pilot. May have to call Passon for a conversion retainer.

The 18 spline "Hemi trans" was used from the factory behind the 426 Hemi and 440. The 23 spline was used with the 383. When I converted my Charger R/T from auto to manual trans, I used a 23 spline, since did not have the "bucks" for a hemi trans, plus I'm not taking it to the track, or racing. It should be hold up if I don't beat on it too much. I have a list of parts for the conversion if you are interested.

It Won't Be A Drag Car. Mainly Daily Driving And A Race Once In A While To Get The Blood Pumping.

Please ChargerRtguy That Would Be Great.

Does It Matter What Year Pedals Or They Have To Be 66?

Auto conversion

I would say a 66 or 67 pedals would work. 1968 is when the major changes in design happened. Charger was based on Coronet underbody, so drive line parts are similar. An 18 spline is ideal, I used a 23 spline and had no problems with it behind my 440. Just make sure your clutch disk matches the splines on the trans, also I used an 11 inch clutch, which was standard on the 440 and 426 Hemi. Here is the attached list of conversion parts.

Attachments

• 4spd install 2.jpg
    4spd install 2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 229
  • 4spd install 1.jpg
    4spd install 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Thank you charger rt guy.

What do you say about what meep-meep said about my transmission and his experience

i agree with meep meep as the aluminum case od 833 trans wont handle a lot of abuse, there good for cruising in a low hp setup but when put behind a big block with a heavy foot your asking for trouble

I agree with Meep-Meep, an aluminum trans case is not very tough in the long run. I would use an older cast iron case 18 or 23 spline trans. You can purchase used ones starting about $500, that's the price I paid for mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back