• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Manual Window Hardware Prep.

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:12 AM
Reaction score
Time to start installing my window hardware. The original hardware is well original a d old and nasty. What do you guys use to clean them up? I suppose I can use simple green as I have that handy but wondering what and how you guys prepare the HW prior to installing.

I did purchase the rebuild kit with the plastic parts.
Thanks

IMG_9322.jpeg

I would use Gibbs Lubricant Oil. It will keep everything Lubricated so the regulator will move freely. And it will clean up the parts nicely.

I would use Gibbs Lubricant Oil. It will keep everything Lubricated so the regulator will move freely. And it will clean up the parts nicely.
Thanks I never used that before! I’ll look for some today!! I was able to fet some areas cleaned fast with a wire brush and brake fluid.

When I did mine they went into the solvent tank and then cleaned with WD40. After they were put into a vice and work thru there cycle with grease. Also after stripping out the old Channel felt I bought the new felt by the roll. remove the backing and spray the Channel with water and press it in with a bondo scraper. If you don't wet the felt it won't go in without sticking all over the place.

image (4).jpg

image (5).jpg

image (3).jpg

For the first pass I had access to a parts cleaner with solvent to get major crud off. Then used a degreaser (for painting prep) and a bristle brush and rag. In the hard to reach areas, an aerosol spray cleaner, like brake cleaner works well. I used Boeshield T-9 to re-lube the mechanisms after cleaning.

I took mine and had them soda blasted. Worked great without any damage to the galvanized plating. I did have to do some solvent/toothbrush work in some of the nooks and crannies. Before and after pics…
75834EE0-30B7-4344-BA29-80114E996660.jpeg
7AC047F4-C502-4F98-B5F1-F5CB789FB630.jpeg

I took mine and had them soda blasted. Worked great without any damage to the galvanized plating. I did have to do some solvent/toothbrush work in some of the nooks and crannies. Before and after pics…View attachment 1528238View attachment 1528239
Just out of curiosity who does soda blasting? What is an estimate for the cost of doing that?

Well it’s a dirty job unlike working as a bouncer in a strip club…
Used a solvent and brake fluid with a hand wire brush. Its good enough but not like if were blasted.

IMG_9328.jpeg

IMG_9327.jpeg

I've said and showed it a dozen times here. The best and probably cheapest degreaser is 100LL AV gas.
If I go to my local municipal airport would I be able to buy some? Or will I have to buy a plane? In which case it’s not all that cost effective…

If I go to my local municipal airport would I be able to buy some?
Some will some won't. Call out first... tell them you are building an experimental aircraft and want some fuel to test your tanks and make sure they don't leak.

First they go for a good soak and scrub in the parts washer.

Then the blast cabinet SOLELY to remove any rust - leave as much of the original finish as possible.

Another good soak to wash out any of the blast media. Air and towel dry. Then a quick coat of "stainless steel" - just to cover any bare metal and blend with the original zinc finish.

Lastly, all the pivots and gears get a shot of "Wire Rope Lube" This stuff sprays on like water but in seconds the propellant flashes off and you're left with a thin film of clear grease.

Just google “soda blasting” in your area. A lot of outfits seem to be mobile. It might take some looking to find one that will take a small job like that. Blasting all my stuff probably ran about $150. A tad pricey but it’s a messy job otherwise.

First they go for a good soak and scrub in the parts washer.

Then the blast cabinet SOLELY to remove any rust - leave as much of the original finish as possible.

Another good soak to wash out any of the blast media. Air and towel dry. Then a quick coat of "stainless steel" - just to cover any bare metal and blend with the original zinc finish.

Lastly, all the pivots and gears get a shot of "Wire Rope Lube" This stuff sprays on like water but in seconds the propellant flashes off and you're left with a thin film of clear grease.
What is “Stainless Steel@ you mentioned above? Is that just a paint or something specialized?

Auto Transport Service
Back