• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Map light install

RR71RR

Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how the map light is actually secured underneath the dash. I received screws with the new map light but don’t see any holes in the dash to screw the light into.

They might be self tapper screws. You might try posting the question on the 71 to 74 forum!

Are you referring to the whole assembly or just the lens? I've been considering replacing mine with the reproduction in the link below, but I haven't taken the old one off yet. There are a few good pictures of the assembly if you only have the lens.

Map light assembly

I guess 3rd gen by your nickname?

the map light insert and holes will straight match the dash pad screw provisions.

BUT HEY! I have seen some 71s without the dash provision for the map light insert! the dash pad must get a recession on dash pad for it, to be able to install it.

Here is a dash pad upsided down and you can see the recession abive the cluster area

charger-dash-pad-2-jpg.214623

Are you referring to the whole assembly or just the lens? I've been considering replacing mine with the reproduction in the link below, but I haven't taken the old one off yet. There are a few good pictures of the assembly if you only have the lens.

Map light assembly
The entire assembly. They're are no holes in the dash to screw/secure the assembly to the dash

So yo dash is not ready for the insert, but flat without any recession/provision on pad. Pretty sure a very early 71 production?

you have two options… forgett about add the map light or change the dash pad.

Auto Transport Service
Back