• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Markel/Essentia Insurance Company (AKA Hagerty) Price Increase More Than $100 Over Last Year

I understand inflation but it's getting ridiculous, isn't it?
Inflation is, yes.

Expecting inflation to affect everything BUT your auto insurance? Well...that's not real bright.

Inflation, by definition, does not affect an industry...it is the de-valuation of the dollar itself. That affects ALL industries.

Classic cars aren't "worth more" because they bring more dollars at auction this season - they sell for more dollars because it takes more dollars to equal the same amount of value. Just like a box of cereal at the store - it takes more dollars to buy the same item. 20% of $2 ain't much, but 20% of $50,000? That's a big bump in dollars...for ZERO change in value.

As for the insurance quote, look at both price, and VALUE. Buy the cheapest thing you can find if you want, but in most cases...you'll get what you (don't) pay for. Cheap price = crappy coverage and shitty customer service.

Where does your "value" meter point? For me, it's worth a few extra bucks to KNOW I'm going to get good customer service, no argument when it comes to claims time and settlement agreements...but many other people look STRICTLY at price.

While I am still getting quotes from Hagerty's competitors, they were kind enough to draft my bake account the $70 annual fee for the Driver's Club. I wasn't aware they did this. They should refund it if I decide not to renew my policy with them this year.

My Hagerty policy (four cars and a truck) is coming up due in March. I need to shop around a bit. Been with them since 1997, and they have always been good to work with. Had several cars lost in the 2003 tornado, and they paid out within five days. FIVE! Compare that to USAA on my drivers back then, they were the absolute worst to deal with.

Considering the value of our cars, Classic Car Insurance is incredibly cheap.

Auto Transport Service
Back