• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Masking aluminum heads

clazar

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
I have a new set of 440 Source hesds that I need to paint. I'll be using a good primer & then high temp paint. My question is, do I mask off the intake & exhaust ports before painting ???

I usually just stuff the ports with crumpled up paper towels. Masking is a PITA.

Make sure you prime with a zinc primer (the yellow stuff).

I actually ment, do I paint where the gaskets would rest against the heads.

I painted my Eddy's over 5yrs ago, and the paint is better on them then the block.. all did was wipe down wiht enamel reducer and tape off exhaust ports (intake was on)

I wouldn't paint any surface that has a gasket over the top of it on the heads. Gas will break down paint on the intake side and exhaust ports that are painted will not like hot exhaust gases. In some cases paint may hold up but why take a chance.

I mask the intake. The exhaust ports get stuffed with towels. All my aluminum heads have been painted. The Indy logo is even filled with bondo, Been that way 10 years.
Doug

159450649_1979905062161314_7862057695327447225_n.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back