• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master Cylinder Bleeding Issue

KidCoronet

Local time
2:45 AM
Reaction score
I installed my new master cylinder (drum brakes all around) and all new brake lines yesterday. Before I bench bled the master, I tried pulling out the brake pushrod and accidentally pulled out the entire piston unit which I quickly reinstalled. I then bench bled and installed it but then while bleeding the brakes (starting at the passenger rear) I get lots of fluid moving but not much firmness to the pedal. On a positive note there are no leak anywhere! Hopefully I didn't screw up the piston or seals....and if I didn't it kind of sounds like there may still be some air in the master that I didn't fully bleed out? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

1968 Coronet R/T

Try having a helper lightly push on pedal and crack lines loose at master.
Try not to push pedal all the way to floor and tight line back while foot pressure still applied. Might have air trapped there.
Have a rag handy.

Just wanted to follow up to report that cracking the brake lines at the master while under pressure cleared out an air pocket and I now have a firm pedal. Thanks for the tip Junior340!

Auto Transport Service
Back