• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MAX WEDGE IDLE ADJUSTMENT

MIKESPOLARA

Local time
3:35 PM
Reaction score
What is the correct way to change idle adjustment on max wedge carbs

Okay now let's get serious. Are you talking idle speed, or mixture? Too lean, too fat too fast, or what?

Idle speed. I haven't looked at carbs closely so I don't know if there might be one screw on the linkage to adjust both evenly or do I have to do each carb?

Idle speed. I haven't looked at carbs closely so I don't know if there might be one screw on the linkage to adjust both evenly or do I have to do each carb?
It depends on which carbs you have. The earlier Carter # 3447 S, used an Idle air bypass screw in the primaries of each carb. The later Carter # 3705 S or SA, used an idle stop screw on the thtottle linkage side. The linkage length can be adjusted independently from the common bellcrank but you have to insure that both carbs are at WOT at the same time. Hope this helps...
BOB RENTON

3447 sa
Idle seems a little low BUT I really haven't driven the car yet so idle may change when at operating temp

Thanks Bob, apparently there is a secret to the 3447s that I didn't know about, having had only 3705 or competition carter's. I'm guessing what is obvious on my carbs isn't so obvious on a 3447.
(Frankly, I was thinking he was having trouble cause he was using edelbrock carbs)

It depends on which carbs you have. The earlier Carter # 3447 S, used an Idle air bypass screw in the primaries of each carb. The later Carter # 3705 S or SA, used an idle stop screw on the thtottle linkage side. The linkage length can be adjusted independently from the common bellcrank but you have to insure that both carbs are at WOT at the same time. Hope this helps...
BOB RENTON

Screw between the idle mixture screws. So do they have to be balanced some how? If I want to increase idle speed slightly, screw one and then the other or what's the proper procedure? Thanks.

Thanks Bob, apparently there is a secret to the 3447s that I didn't know about, having had only 3705 or competition carter's. I'm guessing what is obvious on my carbs isn't so obvious on a 3447.
(Frankly, I was thinking he was having trouble cause he was using edelbrock carbs)

Still takes a screw driver

3447 sa
Idle seems a little low BUT I really haven't driven the car yet so idle may change when at operating temp

Turn the big brass screw counterclockwise to allow more in and increase the idle speed.

You can get them doing the same amount of work with a carb uni-syn device.

you need to do that to have it idle and run it’s best. You can try your beast then get a unisyn and it will be a big improvement.

Is this a new Car to you? Why not drive it and see how it does warmed up? Advancing the timing will increase the idle speed. Check where The timing is now.

EDIT: Dvorak sold an adapter, you can make one to fit the top of the carb. It is well worth your time to dial in both carbs the same.

Last edited:

YES.....couldn't think of the name of the device....but I'm not sure if a Unisyn device came in a 4-7/8" diameter to fit the 3447-S air horn or the 5-1/4" diameter of the 3705-S air horn. Its been years since I've fooled around with a Max wedge and I'm very rusty about the exact methodology meeded....
BOB RENTON

you need to do that to have it idle and run it’s best. You can try your beast then get a unisyn and it will be a big improvement.

Is this a new Car to you? Why not drive it and see how it does warmed up? Advancing the timing will increase the idle speed. Check where The timing is now.

EDIT: Dvorak sold an adapter, you can make one to fit the top of the carb. It is well worth your time to dial in both carbs the same.

Exactly need to drive it etc but just thinking ahead knowing I will ask the same question if needed. Good for me to know even if I don't have to adjust

YES.....couldn't think of the name of the device....but I'm not sure if a Unisyn device came in a 4-7/8" diameter to fit the 3447-S air horn or the 5-1/4" diameter of the 3705-S air horn. Its been years since I've fooled around with a Max wedge and I'm very rusty about the exact methodology meeded....
BOB RENTON

They don’t come in the sizes to fit the bigger carbs. Get a plastic carb hat and modify it accordingly

Auto Transport Service
Back