• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

measurement of length of power steering shaft

resq302

Local time
10:42 AM
Reaction score
When I was pulling apart my steering column for my GTX vert, I noticed the steerting column shaft was collapsed and sliding in an out. I'd like to get it back to the proper length and then drill and put a plastic pin back in it like it had from the factory. Does anyone have the correct length of the power steering column steering shaft? This is for my 69 GTX convertible.

Thanks,

Brian

Just pick or drill the outer plastic off, line the holes back up with the inner, drill them through and then back up with some scrap and fill with plastic welder. My old man hit that wheel a little harder than he claimed when he ditched the car in '69! :lol:

beerestoration2018 1400.JPG beerestoration2018 1539.JPG beerestoration2018 1541.JPG beerestoration2018 1542.JPG beerestoration2018 1544.JPG

It is 41 1/2 end to end.......Originally, they were injected molded with nylon through the two holes...........

Dadsbee's method will work just fine, but I used a different approach. I lined up the holes & drilled/tapped the holes for a 1/4" threaded bolt. I used a plastic bolt from the plumbing section of a hardware store & then cut off the ends.

Lol. Funny that you mentioned that. I went to my hardware store this morning and pretty much did the same thing with nylon 8-32 thumb screws.

Auto Transport Service
Back