• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Memorial Day weekend

National_World_War_II_Memorial_located_on_the_National_Mall_in_Washington,_D.C.jpg

History Channel has Viet Nam HD on right now. Thinking about the lottery and guys with lower numbers than mine who were drafted. Troubling to reconcile.

History Channel has Viet Nam HD on right now. Thinking about the lottery and guys with lower numbers than mine who were drafted. Troubling to reconcile.
It is ,what it is Dennis, we cannot control fate, just play the hand that is dealt us.

Dennis - thx for mentioning this. I just set it up to record all episodes. My family has a strong connection to VN - I've been there many times myself starting in 1994. Sort of in search of my brothers memory. I've been to most of the major battle fields, the tunnels etc. From the Deep South Mekong Delta to the far North, Hanoi and beyond up to the mountains along the Chinese border. Strangely enough thru my many travels there I made friends, met and married a Vietnamese national from Saigon. We've been married 12 years now - together 17 years. Life is full of twists and turns. You never know what's going to happen. Nearly everyone I meet when I go there wants the U.S. military to come back and over throw their government because of all the lies they were told during the war. Yes - even the people of the north want them out. Strange how things turn out.

It is ,what it is Dennis, we cannot control fate, just play the hand that is dealt us.
Well Dennis I got drafted by the Army but chose the Corps. Like Ghost, you're going you're going.

No one of us is any better than any of you that did not serve. Just different.

Really don't know if I can continue to watch. Feel like I got a free ride. Cheated. I usually compartmentalize this. Lost a friend in the Navy during that time. Then after all that sacrifice, we left and all those innocent people got slaughtered. Heartbreaking. I worked with a Vet who flew choppers there. Did not know this till he passed. Our lives and work must have seemed...he never spoke of it. Jerry Ausano.

Dennis, I did 30 years, in combat aviation. I could turn your statement around and say that sometimes I feel like I got cheated. Cheated out of a normal life. You know, home and family around me, a collection of MOPAR's around to play with, all of the Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, births, deaths, ect...instead I have been all over the globe, mostly in hell holes. What I'm saying is that there is always another side to every coin. We have to be satisfied with the choices we made, and or, the choices that were made for us, on purpose, or not. Dare I say it? That's life.

And then I've got my oldest that went in the Corps also in '93 and doesn't think he's a vet because of no combat(?) or no combat zone. WTH?

Really don't know if I can continue to watch. Feel like I got a free ride. Cheated. I usually compartmentalize this. Lost a friend in the Navy during that time. Then after all that sacrifice, we left and all those innocent people got slaughtered. Heartbreaking. I worked with a Vet who flew choppers there. Did not know this till he passed. Our lives and work must have seemed...he never spoke of it. Jerry Ausano.
I can tell you that daily life here in America is surreal, at least for me. We have SOOO doggone much, of EVERY damn thing always at our fingertips. We live in the lap of luxury ( compared to much of the world) and we STILL can't get right. Honestly, i'm glad i'm unable to work, the bitching and moaning and downright laziness, entitled feeling citizens really bug me sometimes. If everyone had to spend a month living in some peoples sandals they would come back and work quietly and get down on their knees and thank somebody for the good fortune they enjoy. I don't get out much away from the farm, really don't leave Vermont. Just going to town and the grocery store makes me grit my teeth. Friends sometimes ask me, " Why do you always look so mad?" Because,...I ...AM! Sigh..ok..i'm done. Sorry.

And then I've got my oldest that went in the Corps also in '93 and doesn't think he's a vet because of no combat(?) or no combat zone. WTH?
Well. he's entitled to his opinion but if it helps, I think he's dead wrong. You are a " Veteran of the US Armed Forces, BECAUSE you raised your right hand and took a solemn oath" Not because of where and or, how you served. He is as much a veteran as the soldier who served 181 days or as much as I am. He is certainly entitled to every bit of veteran related services and assistance that any other veteran is. He is also to be thanked, and praised for his service, and his willingness to sign a blank check for any amount, up to and including his very life, if need be. He is no LESS worthy because it did not come to that in his case. Being in harms way makes you a Combat veteran, I was a regular veteran for a long time before my boots hit the sand.

PS...My wife served 5 years as an MP. No combat duty. She will tell you straight up that she's a Vet.

You've got my brain percolating with this post. Story time...When I came back I had a very tough time. I got a lot of help and have learned to deal with it all. Back then I was placed in an In-House PTSD hospital in Western NY state for 6 weeks, and that turned into 8 weeks, and then 11 weeks. While there I met and got to know many vets with various issues. One guy had lost a leg. He gave me perspective on this subject. We were at a "round table' discussion about "feelings", not every warriors best subject, and when it got to him he turned and looked right at me, and he said, " Look man, you say you feel like your using up services that could be better used to help soldiers who are really injured. Bullshit! Man, you have ******* Brain Damage man, TBI for Gods sake! How you manage to not go off on a killing rampage every day is a wonder. Your BRAIN man, you cant get that **** back man. So what, I lost a freaking leg...BIG EEFing deal, I have a brand new one now, I can walk, I can run, hell, I can even dance and work out. But you man, TBI! **** man.. it's YOU that's the wounded Veteran here man, you."
So you see, it's all in how you look at it. I didn't think I was a combat vet because I had not suffered a missing limb.....how stupid is that?

Auto Transport Service
Back