• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal work 60k too much?

I agree with the others that is a "we don't want to do the work" price. I understand the sentimental attachment to the car, I'd probably be in the same position you are if I had inherited a car my Father used to own and love. But I'd have to look at thing objectively...did he buy the car new, or was this his first car, what history between your father and the car? Does this history warrant the restoration of "this" car, or would a nicer, cleaner more rust free tribute car still accomplish the sentimental out come?

Much to think about and ponder....good luck with your decision and restoration.

Put it together Roadkill style and drive it, fix enough to make it safe and reliable.
Yep a buddy of mine put one together just like this one( probably rougher) for a drag week type deal.

@DartProject62
He did say;
"it was his dad's old car"

maybe there's a 'sentimental attachment' side ?
we don't know

sorry I'm nowhere near your area
I can't recommend a good shop

sometimes it's more than just a car & rust,
lots of $$$ to repair

I'm the 1st one that will say;
find & buy a completely running & driving car,
a much better car/start with a better car, spend more upfront
you'll be time & huge $$$s ahead of the game, in the long run
all the lil' **** will, $100 bill to $1,000 shopping cart,
"you to death"
just shipping costs will make it hard to justify

I can see if it was a high-optioned 70-71 Challenger R/T
or a rarer Hemi/Six-Pack car

There must be a personal connection, "it was his dad's"
that stuff tugging at his heart/brain, not making reasonable decisions
because of it
He is asking about it...
That's a good sign he's not blinded in/by sentiment, too much 'yet'

sometimes we don't do the smartest/best decisions
when it comes to that stuff or old cars

I agree, that $60k price to the work was way high too

good luck

1684267234943.png

Years ago I used to say to my wife, why don’t you call these guys and give them a sad story for me.

Yes 60k is way over the top for metal work only. I understand the fact it was your dad's car.
Anyone bidding that job does not need to know that.
Keep pricing it at different shops good luck on your search.

60K is crazy money for that work. I can about bet that Muscle Car Restorations near me would even be cheaper than that for metal work only, and they are known far and wide to be one of the most expensive shops in the country.

If he can afford it go for it. My dad passed away 10years ago last week. I inherited his 74 charger se that he bought in 1976. He loved that car and always dreamed of fixing it up. But it is a Wisconsin car that was driven in salt and snow for 12 years. A few years before he passed he bought a rust-free body. He sold the body a year later because it wouldn't be his car. I have the car now and wish I had the money and skill to restore it but I don't. So I went over it made it safe and drive it once in a while. It brings back many memories

Get ahold of the AMD installation center. They do it every day, so you'll have a better chance of having it right and I'm sure it will be cheaper too.

You could install new steel, screw it up and take it off at least five times for that. Maybe ten.

Time to learn this portion the hobby and build your Father's car.
I agree with this idea .. but maybe he doesn't have 2000 hrs to burn.

Was my dad’s car. He passed away 2 months ago, it’s how the car came to me
Honestly, clean it up, get it mechanically good and drive it. Or learn to weld and work on it when you can when you aren't driving it. Any shop will have it for a year or more.

I would love to have my parents 70 Charger R/T SE back. I am told it is still around.

moms Charger.jpg

Thank you everyone for the advice! My wife and I decided the 60k number was just too high. Going to do the work ourselves. Working on a 65 MGB right now to start learning the skills needed.

To answer some other questions. Was not his first car (1970 RR he wrapped around a tree… see picture). But he had to park the Challenger when he had kids. Just a project we all thought we would get to at some point.

42506A13-2BF8-4510-9278-7B749FDBDED0.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back