• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metal work 60k too much?

...and skim coat it.

I will venture to answer the question asked.
Yes, that is way too much money for the metalwork that car requires. I would think in the 15k for metalwork range, with up or down depending on how much is needed and the labor rate of the place. Get references, don't put down big 'starting money', agree to pay as progress is made. If progress stops, get your car out of there.
Good luck with it, I hope you choose to save it and can find someone willing to take on the project.

I wonder if there is more to this story that relates to the reason for $60k.

Man, the guy asks a straight forward question and starts getting all kinds of opinions. If he wanted opinions he would have asked what do you think of this car, or how much would you spend to fix it, or should I fix it or buy one already done?
But he didn't.

Apologies, but this is one of my pet peeves. I'm turning into @Kern Dog

Man, the guy asks a straight forward question and starts getting all kinds of opinions. If he wanted opinions he would have asked what do you think of this car, or how much would you spend to fix it, or should I fix it or buy one already done?
But he didn't.

I think you are missing the overall replies are actually what the OP was asking. Sorry, but your response just signifies your disapproval of them because you take offense to the negatives being displayed. He asked for it and got what he was asking for. Regardless of how your feelings are. As was pointed out, 60K is way too much money to spend on it for the required repairs...cr8crshre/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:

I think you are missing the overall replies are actually what the OP was asking. Sorry, but your response just signifies your disapproval of them because you take offense to the negatives being displayed. He asked for it and got what he was asking for. Regardless of how your feelings are. As was pointed out, 60K is way too much money to spend on it for the required repairs...cr8crshre/Bill :usflag::usflag::usflag:
I'm allowed to disagree with you, correct?

I imagine a big difference in price if you just bring a complete rusty car to a shop and tell them to do it all, vs. the owner spending the tens to hundreds of hours pulling out the interior, glass etc. seam sealing and reassembling it all after the shop welds on the sheet metal.

I am currently completing a comprehensive restoration on my 1964 Dodge Polara 4-door hardtop. This is a Canadian built car with the ultra-rare Sports Package. This gave any Canadian-built Polara bucket seats and console, even 4-door sedans. We are the second owners of this Dodge, buying it in 1980. When we first "fixed up" our car , we took it back to London to show it to the old Polish couple we purchased it from. We made them both cry with happiness. They then told us that they had returned to Poland in 1967 to visit relatives and let them know how well they were doing in Canada. They loaded their special Dodge on the ship and took it to Poland with them to drive and impress family.
In 1983, we drove our Polara to have a vacation with our two small kids at DisneyWorld in Ocala, Florida, from Ontario. I drove it to 1985 Mopar Nationals in Ann Arbor, Michigan. My daughter learned to drive and got her driver's licence with this car. The Polara was my wife's summer "drive to work" car for many years. So, our whole family has a sentimental attachment to it. We built a new house in 2003, and the last time the Dodge was driven, was to its new garage. There it sat until three years ago, when I decided on a decent restoration. I could not sell it or junk it.
I found a real good guy to work on it. I told him that I did not expect it to be perfect, as I wanted to just drive it and go to the odd car cruise in it, without worrying about paint chips, etc. By the time he got it, I had already replaced the front and trunk floors, as well as the rear quarter panels. As work progressed, I could see that Ken was doing excellent work on the car, better than I really needed. When I mentioned to him that he was doing a nicer job than I required, he said that there was only one way he did a car; the best that he could. He did not want his shop's name attached to a so-so job. Understandable. The result was my Dodge being restored to a very high standard, but costing way more than I expected. I know I could never sell my car for what I have invested in it, because of the number of door handles on it. My wife was pi$$ed about it for a while, but this Dodge has been a member of our family for such a long time. This was a case where heart won out over brain. It is not always about the $$$.

But he didn't.

It’s ok, I honestly appreciate everyones opinions. It definitely puts perspective on the whole project. I am kinda curious tho as to what is wrong with a “skim coat”? As mentioned by someone above

Last edited:
It’s ok, I honestly appreciate everyones opinions. It definitely puts perspective on the whole project. I am kinda curious tho as to what is wrong with a “skim coat”? As mentioned by someone above
He was making a joke. A 'skim coat' in body terms is when you spread a very thin coat of bondo over an entire area, like a door skin, and then sand it down smooth. Most of the bondo, filler, is removed leaving thin spots filling in low spots on the panel. It is then sealed and primered to start the blocking process.
So the joke is to coat the entire car with bondo and sand it down.

I would definitely shop around for someone to do your restoration for you as the car retains so much sentimental value. What ever you do, please don't just let it sit. Drive it and enjoy it.

If I'm understanding the meaning "skim coat", which would be to cover up the problems, instead of removing, and properly repairing, it will be a Short term fix, only to have these reappear a short time later, and the cost for repair tossed away, as it will need to be redone again...

If I'm understanding the meaning "skim coat", which would be to cover up the problems, instead of removing, and properly repairing, it will be a Short term fix, only to have these reappear a short time later, and the cost for repair tossed away, as it will need to be redone again...
That's not how we used the term skim coat in my body shop. Newspaper and bondo is my feeling of what you are inferring.

It’s ok, I honestly appreciate everyones opinions. It definitely puts perspective on the whole project.
The fact that you have a sentimental attachment to the car complicates the decision making process. Thls issue has been the topic of numerous other threads, and I have been through it myself. If it was strictly a financial decision, yes, you could buy a done car and be way ahead financially. But that is not what we're talking about here. So given the fact you have the attachment to the car, you are willing to spend more to preserve the legacy. In terms of value to you personally, it may be money well spent.

That being said, an emotional attachment makes it more important to shop carefully, and control your costs. Folks have posted some valid considerations here. I got lucky with my car "from back in the day." It was restored by others. But I was still at risk of overpaying for it. Got good advice on this forum, and ended up with a good deal.

That's not how we used the term skim coat in my body shop. Newspaper and bondo is my feeling of what you are inferring.
Nx, Agreed. Skim coat is applied after correct metal replacement is done. I was referring to your latter concept, as in "perfumed pig"...

darn near everything needs a skim coat..... you'd be lucky if a skim coat is all it needs; if your depending on primer to do it, good luck, especailly on a pieced together 50 year old husk

20220425_215853.jpg
20221205_005527.jpg
20221205_005850.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back