• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mild 440 Value? Possible hp?

punisher66j

Local time
6:06 AM
Reaction score
I currently have a 72 Plymouth RR Clone with a RV 440, small cam, eddy intake, holley 750, 3.55 rear gears and that is about it. Car Runs like a dream but is a total dog. I have a friend that has a 440 for sale that is a 78 RV 440 as well but it has been built up. His is bored 30 over, TRW flat top pistons, ported 452 heads, 509 purple cam. Id be getting this motor as a long block, no oil pan, water pump, intake, or carb. Motor does have a leaking rear main but the pan need swapped anyway. He is asking $2500 dollars for this motor, which I'm assuming I can't build it for that. However he is not sure of the exact miles on it after rebuilt, probably less than 30k but I trust him. But I am curious what others think the value is and what kind of power you think it'd make.

No you couldn't build it for that $$.
Power wise... probably close to 490-500hp with the proper accoutrement and proper tuning.

The " ported heads" is also a wild card.
This is assuming the pistons yield some kind of reasonable compression.

The 509 cam is more of a race cam, what's the intended purpose of the vehicle, street cruzer or what? Ported heads are not a bad thing to have even on a street car! Have the dude tell you more about the motor and play 20 Q's with him and go from there.

You will need a good 10” converter to match that .509 cam or it will still be a dog. Intake selection may involve some compromise depending upon how much hood clearance you have. A 750 will sacrifice a little top end horsepower, but have better overall drivability on the street. It will require some tuning to work properly given the .509’s low vacuum.

You've driven his and it feels stronger? Nothing in the post necessarily says 'better' than yours to me. Flattops can still be way in the hole and in fact probably are if no valve reliefs.
Hate to spend $2500, be within 20-30hp of what you have now, and lose the tq cuz of the 509. Definitely a wake up north of 3000-3500 set up.

Where in Iowa?

I currently have a 72 Plymouth RR Clone with a RV 440, small cam, eddy intake, holley 750, 3.55 rear gears and that is about it. Car Runs like a dream but is a total dog. I have a friend that has a 440 for sale that is a 78 RV 440 as well but it has been built up. His is bored 30 over, TRW flat top pistons, ported 452 heads, 509 purple cam. Id be getting this motor as a long block, no oil pan, water pump, intake, or carb. Motor does have a leaking rear main but the pan need swapped anyway. He is asking $2500 dollars for this motor, which I'm assuming I can't build it for that. However he is not sure of the exact miles on it after rebuilt, probably less than 30k but I trust him. But I am curious what others think the value is and what kind of power you think it'd make.
A buddy built a mild 440 with some ported 915 heads and a HFT Comp Cam in the .525 lift range and it dynoed just at 500 horse and about the same torque.

just curious , is yours the in violet color 72 that was for sale in North
The used engine...
Like posted above its prob close to 500 hp.
Just going going to toss this out there.
With today's crap fuel and price for good fuel when and if you can find it the lower compression 440s / RV engines are not a bad choice.
They can be tuned to run pretty darn good. The right choice of cam , ignition , carb, intake ect. $2500/3,000 on your engine if its solid can really wake it up.
Heck just a cam swap and tune may do it.
Plus you can buy fuel anyplace.

Edit..... my mistake, Mike posted the 72 I was thinking about here in Iowa, It was a clone and charcoal/ grey in color. I was close ,
At least it was in Iowa :lol:

Last edited:
My new 440 will hit the dyno next week. I will also have all the specs, the builder has done 100's of 440's and is figuring 450 and about the same torque. I drive the wheels off of my car and it is built to be driven.

My new 440 will hit the dyno next week. I will also have all the specs, the builder has done 100's of 440's and is figuring 450 and about the same torque. I drive the wheels off of my car and it is built to be driven.
Who's doing the work Scott?

Auto Transport Service
Back