• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Military parade?

Jcharger

Local time
1:27 AM
Reaction score
WAPO writes that it looks like we might start having them.

I marched in a Military parade 5 years straight. Actually only marched maybe two years and drove a M48 tank and later a M60 tank. The parade proceeded at one part down a very steep hill and i was very alert and a little on edge driving that tank with spectators so close by, plus others marching in front. I was constantly looking for were i could ditch the tank if need be and there was none. The M60 proved to be harder as the brakes were hard and needed a considerably amount of force on the pedal to make it stop. Even though "they" had others who were tankers they still used to me to drive one of several tanks on city streets. We also had APC's in the parade. None of that exists today and two of those M60's are parked in front of the Armory as lawn ornaments.

I marched in a Military parade 5 years straight. Actually only marched maybe two years and drove a M48 tank and later a M60 tank. The parade proceeded at one part down a very steep hill and i was very alert and a little on edge driving that tank with spectators so close by, plus others marching in front. I was constantly looking for were i could ditch the tank if need be and there was none. The M60 proved to be harder as the brakes were hard and needed a considerably amount of force on the pedal to make it stop. Even though "they" had others who were tankers they still used to me to drive one of several tanks on city streets. We also had APC's in the parade. None of that exists today and two of those M60's are parked in front of the Armory as lawn ornaments.
Tanks for that story.

I drove this beast in a few. I hated every second as it was a curvy street and mine is the deuce (no power steering ) but the local kids loved it when I pull back around and park it so they can climb all over it !
I miss my old truck I wish I didn't sell it . I will get another one eventually!
14251.jpg

Bb, dont know were you drove that beast but heres a story i recall. We were upstate in Fort Drum and i was driving a 5 ton like the one your standing in front of. It was deep in the woods and had been raining two days. The mud was up to the running boards of my truck. I had it in 4 wheel with a back full of some equipment i cant recall. I thought maybe Mortar rounds but that cant be, either way that truck pulled through the mud with no problem. Then we were told to stop at the bottom of this hill and carry what we were to delivery up the hill about a 1/8 mile hike. I thought no way and i drove that truck up the side of that hill, no road just mud and dirt. I was amazed how that truck went through almost anything. Of course loaded and pulling a small trailer on the highway when i came to a hill i couldn't get out of second gear. So it was like 15/20 MPH as it needed more gears in the trans but they were tough rugged trucks. I recall our deuce and a half was gasoline engine and the 5 ton had a diesel

Mine is actually the deuce and a half. The 5 ton would be automatic and have power steering.
My old gal was a multi fuel diesel it would go threw anything but as you said top speed it didn't have! I took it up the highway once 50 mph was it! It was empty also . I wouldn't get anything other then a multi fuel again I loved it it had 3 fuel filters on it and it really didn't care what you put in it .I got 200 gal of free off road diesel it was old old fuel but I knew it would burn so I strained it and ran it truck loved it . I would pull into the gas station and mess with people start filling it with gas and someone would start screaming saying your going to blow it up that's a diesel! I'd say oh well and drive off . Greatest truck I ever owned I payed $2700 for it then had to replace the injection pump on it it fired right off after sitting for 15 years was a Street legal one too, the local kids (and adults) at the car shows loved it I had a few military helmets and demilitarized grenades I left in it for pictures! I took up 4 spots at the local shows but no one said anything! I took a few trophy s home for it ,I find that funny as my crappy $2700 truck with rust and bullet holes everywhere got trophy's when my perfect condition 64 Chrysler 300 K conv one of only a handful left in the world has never once got a trophy! (Well it got one but it was from a blind and deaf car show so I don't count that!)
By the way my truck was used during desert storm! I want to say it was just a base jocky though it used to be tan but was painted green when it came home for local base work. I'll have to find the pictures from the 4 of July we took it out to the city halls fire works ,there's a great spot that's really soupy only big 4X4's can get in it I had to pull alot of trucks out that year made me alot of money that night ! But again it was mostly for the kids to see and get an understanding what our military did/does . If I were to get one kid to respect our military I was happy people down here raise there kid with the idea the military and police are bad things we would be better off without both ! So I really lay into those types !

I read in another article that it would be to much of a logistical nightmare, as well as a big waste of taxpayer $$. Personally, I don't think we need to be doing that crap.

I don't see any harm in having a parade for support or our military
IMO we need more pride & patriotism, for vets & current members
it's another way of showing support, show young children the support,
we need much more support, maybe it would show better role models too...
Instead of the lame *** constant needless Liberal causes/protesting BS...
Too bad people are always so god damn negative, about every ******* thing,
seemingly even in this thread, by select people...

The logistics & even the costs "are miniscule" in comparison the
99.99% of the waste that goes on, every god damn day in DC
by most if not all the Liberals Tax & Spend wasteful BS...

A little pride in country & recognition to all the people that serve
& protect US...
In my mind, that certainly isn't a bad thing,
I'd include 1st responders too...
You'd think most patriotic people would be onboard,
IMO it's a good recruiting tool also...
Some seemingly don't care, even some that served
{some got booted & are always constantly bitter too}, are just bitchers & moaners
about every ******* thing under the sun...

Last edited:
Reminds me of an older guy way back when working at a gas station during high school. He was Nat'l Guard and got called out to plow streets in Chicago,parking ban, with a plow attached. He said 3 days later they found a flattened MGB or something that he had run over; never even felt it.

Don't we aiready have military parades on Memorial day? Those are the ones i marched and drove a tank in.
They say there hasn't been one in Washington since 91 when we came back from the gulf war.
I am all for it. I dont see it as a show of power. I see it as honoring those who are currently serving. Memorial day is for those we have lost. Veterans day is for those that have served. Lets have a big show on July 4th for todays military!

Be better than seeing some politician running around in a parade shaking hands and pretending they are looking out for our well being while padding their pockets with special interest money.:usflag:

Don't we aiready have military parades on Memorial day? Those are the ones i marched and drove a tank in.
Feds want to do a 'show of force' parade like the crazies do in N Korea. I think the Russians do it too. They want to pull out all the big bombs and 100k+ troops and March them down PA Ave.

"Speak softly and carry a big stick" comes to mind.
Giant waste of taxpayer money IMO.
Carry on.

Auto Transport Service
Back