• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Milodon 31000 pan swap

Royce Brown

Local time
1:38 AM
Reaction score
I'm doing this swap on a 2012 5.7 from a Charger. Is there a detailed walk through on doing the oil pan swap? I'm finding as I get into it that there are a lot of things that would not be obvious to most when initially ordering parts. I've searched this forum and other forums and most seem to skip over the actual installation process. Most posts just mentiojn the pan and pickup. I ended up needing:

Milodon 31000 pan
Milodon 18341 pickup tube
Milodon 85025 pan bolts
Mopar pickup support Stud 06506333AA
Mopar pickup support nut 06502756
RTV Sealant
I sprung for the Milodon dipstick tube, windage tray and Milodon gasket. Folks seem to be undecided on whether or not to reuse factory tray and gasket. Some folks also preferred to use mopar dipsticks.

First off, the oil pickup tube bolt from the factory tube appears not to work on the Milodon 18341 tube (VVT engines). The solution I've seen is that the person decided to expand and elongate the mounting bolt hole. This was done because it does not seem possible to get the oem bolt into the mounting plate hole on the new pickup. Also, the mounting plate bolt hole does not seem to lineup to the threaded hole on the engine hence the elongation. Is there a better solution perhaps a shorter bolt or could this just be a bad part and no one else has this issue? I've only seen this mentioned in one summit review. Does everyone just elongate the hole and not mention it or did your mounting bolt fit right back in and lineup perfectly?

Second issue is that the new pickup is further back so the support stud is on another bearing end cap (#3). I'm under the impression that these bolts are TTY so it would need to be replaced. Is this correct? I ordered a new one anyway. They are only a couple bucks. The nut and stud were ordered from mopar. Stud: 06506333AA Nut: 06502756. This should be on a note somewhere or at least in the suggested parts listings. I even read the instructions and it did not mention this. The second you place the pickup in there it becomes obvious.

Third not so obvious thing is that the factory oil pan bolts are too long and you need to purchase separate shorter bolts. The aluminum pan is much thicker. Some folks have mentioned that even the Milodon pan bolts (85025) are too long in the front and back and that you have to drill into the block, purchase even shorter bolts, or shim them with extra nuts in order to get them all the way in and tight.

Fourth is that the Milodon pan does not have a dipstick provision. This is not a big deal. Milodon also sells a nice dipstick. The thing that is not obvious is that you will need to knock out the plug in the block before putting the pan back on.

Obviously, these issues aren't very difficult to overcome. In my case it's not a big deal because I wasn't planning on doing this swap until next weekend anyway but I decided to mock everything up last weekend and it's a good thing I did. I would not have known about the new bearing cap nut and stud and would have been dead in the water waiting on parts. Does all this sound correct? Is there anything else I'm missing? Any more gotchas?

Wow, your way over thinking/looking into this.

Pan gasket is reusable if in good shape, if not, replace.
Move the oil pick up stud to the right main cap and retorque to spec.
If ya gotta elongate the hole, do it, no biggie.
Pan bolts, reuse old one or use new ones.
Put a thin skim of Permatex on the block, timing cover and rear main, done
The dip stick, (Milodon) use it. When you fill the pan with 6 quarts mark the dip stick. Use whatever filter you like and fill it. So 6qts. + some on the filter.

Auto Transport Service
Back