• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar battery cover

pjm8047

Local time
10:52 AM
Reaction score
What color would the fill caps be on a 24 series battery on a 71 383 roadrunner?

My 72 Satellite Sebring 400 4 bbl. came with a group 24 Yellow cap battery. If you have a broadcast sheet it will tell if your car was built with a 24 series or a 27 series.
Ron

I thought I read somewhere that it has more to do with the alternator output.
The Amp output determines whether its a heavy duty or standard charging system. I guess they colour coded the corresponding batteries for the optional charging systems?? This information is based on my memory which needs to be updated time to time .

I think it’s yellow top 24. I believe the 440,440+6 and hemi had the 27.

Last edited:
That looks pretty cool! Just remove the modern caps and install the retro ones?

The battery I used is a sealed unit so the battery caps had 3M adhesive on the back and you just peel and stick in place, then put on the two battery decals and your done. But if you get a battery with removable caps then order the appropriate kit to work with it.

Here's my AutoZone group 27

after 2 (Large).JPG

I thought I read somewhere that it has more to do with the alternator output.
The Amp output determines whether its a heavy duty or standard charging system. I guess they colour coded the corresponding batteries for the optional charging systems?? This information is based on my memory which needs to be updated time to time .
Looks like my memory has failed me once again. One needs to check the broadcast sheet if available, to be correct. If just looking for aesthetics there are a couple of options such as stickers and colored fill caps you can apply to the battery you have and fool the Chevy and Ford citizens.

Just received my decal kit . Came super fast from France. Just put them on looks great for $25!

2FCBEC60-BECF-46E2-8BF3-FF9B5FEE148D.jpeg

E9176866-2B1B-4E11-A25A-4AFAA54EE314.jpeg

02950D73-FDEE-484D-990D-17D0A6AB95BD.jpeg

From the 71 Plymouth Service manual. I got the correct one:thumbsup:

F3249AF0-0CEF-4D4B-9785-CF0D07EA13B2.jpeg

Last edited:
What color IS 73 charger with 400 . Mymopar.com battery cuide says yellow .Is IT or green what that chart Day.

What color IS 73 charger with 400 . Mymopar.com battery cuide says yellow .Is IT or green what that chart Day.
from the 73 manual. I believe they’re yellow group 24 unless u got the 440 then red group 27

image.jpg

400...Depends on alternator. If it has larger alt, group 28 is red. Smaller would be yellow.

Auto Transport Service
Back