• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar big block - distributor drive shaft

cruizer88

Local time
9:03 AM
Reaction score
I am reassembling my 64 426 wedge engine and I have a question.

On the driveshaft for the oil pump/distributor...

I ordered a new shaft from 440 Source and it came with a round gasket (just plain gasket material).

My questions is... where does this go? Why is it there? And being on, or under the gear, and inside the engine, won't it be worn away but the revolution of the gear?

I appreciate any thought you all may have on this.

Bill

Probably goes under the distributor. What is the diameter, or post a pic with shaft for reference.

It's for distributors without Oring where it goes in the block.

Probably goes under the distributor. What is the diameter, or post a pic with shaft for reference.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure why they would give that gasket with that part. You'd think that would come with a distributor.

I've seen them with both but the paper gasket is often discarded when it gets brittle. Most see the o ring and figure its not needed.

They come in metal with a raised bead also.

Early stock distributors didn't have a groove for an O-ring. The gasket went between the block and distributor and usually rips the first time you adjust timing.

Early stock distributors didn't have a groove for an O-ring. The gasket went between the block and distributor and usually rips the first time you adjust timing.
I will be using an MSD distributor with the o-ring seal.

Thanks for the reply. Not sure why they would give that gasket with that part. You'd think that would come with a distributor.

Reason is if you are replacing it on a running engine you must remove the distributor and the old gasket should be replaced when putting it back together...

Auto Transport Service
Back