• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mopar cop wheel caps question i believe they came stainless for one year only and than went to aluminum how would i tell the difference ?

justjim

Local time
11:41 PM
Reaction score
cop car cap question, it’s my understanding that when they came out they were stainless than went to aluminum how can i tell the difference ? i read somewhere that you have to weigh them on a scale that reads in ounces ?

I don’t think they were ever made in aluminum. All I can remember seeing and owning were SS.

SS is much heavier than Aluminum. Aluminum is anodized and when it is not cared for or sits out inthe weather it gets a white tone to it. Aluminum dents much easier which is why they would want them to be SS for taking on and off to maintain the police car, look how often they need tires and brakes.

0745EE64-306D-485F-B36B-17683CE3F7C7.jpeg

I don’t think they were ever made in aluminum. All I can remember seeing and owning were SS.

SS is much heavier than Aluminum. Aluminum is anodized and when it is not cared for or sits out inthe weather it gets a white tone to it. Aluminum but don’t know the difference i believe there was a difference of about 5 ounces between them ? dents much easier which is why they would want them to be SS for taking on and off to maintain the police car, look how often they need tires and brakes.
i did read awhile back there is a difference in weight

I believe the one cop cap my girlfriend has laying around is aluminum. It's pretty light, and not as shiny as SS.

The stainless ones have Plymouth stamped on them for 1970. No vent holes and the aluminum ones were mostly on Dodge trucks.

100_0411.JPG

You could tell the aluminium caps from the SS ones just by looking at them. The SS ones were not as bright as the anodized aluminium ones. The "true" cop caps had the holes for ventilation. There were other variations of this small cap that had Plymouth or Dodge identification, or were just plain. The truck caps were generally steel, painted satin silver. All of these caps had the fake black painted "vents" on the perimeter. My favourite version of these caps was the '69-'71 Dodge "Red Circle" ones that I used to run on body colour police wheels on my Daffodil Yellow '67 R/T. The red on the caps matched the red on the R/T signs.

RT drags.jpg

i think i asked the wrong question, i should have asked if the red line caps came in stain or aluminum and not the cop caps

6B757110-231B-4A80-A438-B852AE28F688.jpeg

Didn't you learn anything in school, or are you just that stupid? Apparently so!!!! Is a magnet attracted to them???
It depends on the purity of the stainless.

I don't recall seeing vent holes on Plymouth cop car hub caps until the model year 1974.

My friends with retired 1970-1972 VSP Fury I cars definitely did not have the vent holes. Also, I used to go to the VSP sealed bid auctions. The '72 & '73 Fury I cars did not have the vent holes.

VSP: Virginia State Police.

Last edited:
The distinguishing feature of the cop caps are the holes. Red ring dodge caps are common. (But i like em! Ran dodge red circles on my Plymouth A12 for a while. Really don't like the no-hubcap look.)

The distinguishing feature of the cop caps are the holes. Red ring dodge caps are common. (But i like em! Ran dodge red circles on my Plymouth A12 for a while. Really don't like the no-hubcap look.)
i had the red ring caps on my 64 Dodge

Auto Transport Service
Back