• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

mopar mega block

Hemi 1.jpg

Hemi 2.jpg

I'd screw the studs in and measure with a dial bore gauge. It may be fine.. For that matter it may not be correct with the bolts either. Needs to be measured.
Doug
that sounds like a good plan, any idea which studs fit these mega blocks ? arp has 2 different part numbers..145-5602 for std original hemi's and 1455603 for world cast iron and aluminum blocks..

that sounds like a good plan, any idea which studs fit these mega blocks ? arp has 2 different part numbers..145-5602 for std original hemi's and 1455603 for world cast iron and aluminum blocks..
You shouldn't need the World main studs because the front main cap is not crossbolted

You shouldn't need the World main studs because the front main cap is not crossbolted
the question would be if the main caps r the same height as the original hemi's...

They might be a little taller but I think the main studs for a stock block will work on that one.

I studed my main side studs as well as the rest of the vertical main studs with ARP on everything.

HP rating of 6 bolt flex plate cranks ?

Last edited:
looks like this answers my question.

quote from andyf

8 bolt is typical Mopar truck engineering overkill. Pro Stock BB Chevy motors don't use 8 bolts and they seem to hold on to the flywheel just fine.

Personally I think the crank mfgs should get rid of the 8 bolt option and just make life easier for all of us. They have finally started to get rid of the oversize 2.375 rod journal and the porky Mopar piston pin.

Stage3: So if I’m understanding this correctly. There is a cross bolted main wedge block? I could have shown I seen one in a motor home engine add on craigslist years ago. I didnt pay alot of attention to it at the time because I didn’t have a car then. Now I regret not picking it up.

Last edited:
Stage3: So if I’m understanding this correctly. There is a cross bolted main wedge block? I could have shown I seen one in a motor home engine add on craigslist years ago. I didnt pay alot of attention to it at the time because I didn’t have a car then. Now I regret not picking it up.
There have never been any factory crossbolted wedge blocks. They are either a Mopar Mega block or aftermarket.
Doug

Must have been my imagination or misremembering. Thanks for the answer.

Mopar performance cross bolted mains wedge block..known as a Mega block..made from appx 1996-2008? i have been playing with this stuff now for decades and i paid No attention to it...i think when they started coming on the radar was when u became able to buy heads that would make 700HP and up,,,Then realized the xtreme shortcomings of the factory stock 440 blocks.

And this 1 did come from a motorhome that was installed when the original died....in the book they listed a factory replacement wedge block as a differant part number from the mega's but they were also mega's...............................

I'd screw the studs in and measure with a dial bore gauge. It may be fine.. For that matter it may not be correct with the bolts either. Needs to be measured.
Doug
with the bolts it was nearly spot on using a dial bore gauge for the 1st time. tricky tool , i found that rocking it seemed to work best for achieving the +/- 0 reading..with the studs there seems to be appx .002 varianous here and there. no more. mostly in spec. i was told that anything under 1/2 thousands was good ?.couldnt use the stud side units, too much non threaded portion sticking out so used the stock side bolts..machine shop will check my work but what do u think ?

ordered a rotating assembly for it. molnar crank 4.15, 6.86 molnar rods with 2000 bolts, and racetec 4.400 forged pistons for a 11-1 compression. for a total overbore of .080. .020 more than it is now.. 505 c.i. now its hurry up and wait for the custom pistons.

there's orange paint under neigh all that tan paint that looks like it was brushed on...

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1465.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

Well now I don’t know what to think. I understand mopar never install a crossbolted wedge block at the factory. But it’s entirely worth possible that the mh engine I seen was a replacement block. I should have grabbed it!

with the bolts it was nearly spot on using a dial bore gauge for the 1st time. tricky tool , i found that rocking it seemed to work best for achieving the +/- 0 reading..with the studs there seems to be appx .002 varianous here and there. no more. mostly in spec. i was told that anything under 1/2 thousands was good ?.couldnt use the stud side units, too much non threaded portion sticking out so used the stock side bolts..machine shop will check my work but what do u think ?

ordered a rotating assembly for it. molnar crank 4.15, 6.86 molnar rods with 2000 bolts, and racetec 4.400 forged pistons for a 11-1 compression. for a total overbore of .080. .020 more than it is now.. 505 c.i. now its hurry up and wait for the custom pistons.

there's orange paint under neigh all that tan paint that looks like it was brushed on...

View attachment 1586865

View attachment 1586867

View attachment 1586869
.002" or .0002"? .002" is a huge difference. You also need the side bolts torqued to corrctly measure. Mine uses main studs with grade 8 cross bolts. No need for side studs. It has held up fine going on 12 years (it was used 5+ years before I got it) making around 900hp.

.002" or .0002"? .002" is a huge difference. You also need the side bolts torqued to corrctly measure. Mine uses main studs with grade 8 cross bolts. No need for side studs. It has held up fine going on 12 years (it was used 5+ years before I got it) making around 900hp.
i did have the stock side bolts in and torqued also, my 1st attempt with a dial bore gauge borrowed, i'm dropping it off today at another machine shop and have them check the main bore and hone as necessary to be sure. i figured once the short block is set up correctly that it should capable of with standing some serious HP . do u remember which grade 8 cross bolts u used ?. thanks.

took it to the machine shop today, they will mic it and hone as necessary. to be sure. and i am having then sonic check the cylinder bores. along with a couple of other procedures. will be ready for pick up next week. But while i was there they had another mega type block that was for use in a stock eliminator car.

2 bolt mains, the block has the cross bolt bosses cast in but not drilled. drilled for wedge heads and 1 hemi oil return was drilled out of the 4 bosses cast in..330-M casting, MC triangle and No MOPAR above the 330-M . No numbers on the pad but it could have been machined off because it had been decked. these guys can bush my lifter bores,,the question is should I ?? the cars mostly street but i will be doing some racing. isky red zone rollers..

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG

IMG_1473.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back