• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mopar perf stamped rockers better than factory?

YY1

Local time
6:57 AM
Reaction score
I've heard that the factory rockers can be as bad as 1.4 ratio due to tolerance issues.

Since I'm planning a cam swap, I was wondering if it would be worth the $130 to get the MP rockers- MP4529742 if they're machined closer to 1.5.

Is Cloyes still a decent double roller chain?

Jegs also says in their catalog that certain brands of intake gaskets don'r seal well with aluminum intakes, and they mention Felpro, specifically.

They ahve both their brand of gasket set, and Mr Gsket, in a "cam change" kit for under $40

As long as they are stamped rockers, they are prone to the same ratio maladies as stock. Yes, Cloyes is a good brand. Make sure you get the TRUE roller that does not have the split rollers in the chain.

As long as they are stamped rockers, they are prone to the same ratio maladies as stock. Yes, Cloyes is a good brand. Make sure you get the TRUE roller that does not have the split rollers in the chain.

I'm getting ready to buy a Cloyes for my new motor too. Thanks for that tip Rusty. Will the part description indicate this detail or do I need to call up and ask the sales guy?

Thanks rusty.

I was hoping those MP parts might have been made to better tolerances, and maybe better QC.

Oh, well.

Unfortunately, they ain't. lol It's the same process. If you want some really good rockers, look for some ductile iron rockers like Isky, Crane, Mopar, or Erson. Of course those will all be used since no one makes them anymore, but they are pretty indestructible so they'll be in decent shape still. I have a set of Iskys out in the shop for my 383 now. I'm gonna get some hard chromed shafts for them and send them to RAS to get them bushed.

YY1, yes stock ratios can be all over the place, but if yours are in good shape, and you don't have insane spring pressures, changing them is about as useful from a performance standpoint as chrome.

20+ years ago, the MP heavy duty rocker set was closer tolerance (ratio), and thicker to hold up to higher spring pressures, but those U.S. built sets were replaced by offshore stuff that is NOT as good as the stock stuff.

I can't comment on cloyes quality nowdays as I have no experience with them, but the Australian built sets are very good (I can't remember the name, maybe someone else can provide it). However for a primarily street engine, any steel replacement chain set will last longer than you or I will live. A roller will not make more power and the chain gets more than enough oil to lubricate anything you chose.

Personally, I only use "swap meet" used chain sets as they already have the initial stretch imposed. The benefit is that once the cam is degreed in, it won't change over the years.

As for intake gaskets, I only use the stock stamped steel units --- I use them over and over and over! They don't wear out, and a very thin film of silicone RTV (very thin being the important part), assures a perfect seal. In fact the only reason that a stock gasket wouldn't work is if the block or heads were milled without the intake mating surfaces being machined to compensate.

Should this be the case, you will get leaks, no matter how much you mess with it, no matter what "band-aid" fix (gaskets) that you try. You are much better off with proper machining as opposed to the "fixes" that are out there for improper build problems. On a stock, or properly machined BB mopar, aftermarket intake gaskets will only cause sealing problems.

All this is only my opinion, but I have been dealing with these cars since they were new. I just hate to see money spent where it does no good, or even worse, can be detrimental to performance or durability.

To Rusty.... I agree that the Ductile rockers are the absolute best for durability. I have two set's of Isky's that I have had for 35+ years that have close to (if not over) a million miles on them. No exaggeration, I still daily drive my old cars.
I have replaced the shafts a few times over the years as the shafts take all the abuse. Point being that hard chromed shafts will force the rockers to take the abuse, so I don't personally see how this would be an upgrade. But in any event, be prepared to wait for a long time with RAS (actually now known as "Rocker Arms Unlimited" for the rebuilding service). I know a guy that waited nearly a year for rebuilds. --- In any event, don't buy shafts first as they (RAS/RAU)use reduced diameter shafts so as not to weaken the rockers with oversize bushings. They provide all related mounting hardware to compensate for this, but unless they have changed recently, It's a long wait, Good quality, but a long time, plus with the hard chrome shafts, the bushings take the wear so unless your rockers are severely worn, you are probably better off just polishing the bores and shafts.

My opinion anyway.

They have changed. The original owner, Gary now has the company back and has relocated. The previous owners were the ones who gave it the bad rep. But you are correct, they had terrible customer service then.

OK, guys I'll just save my $130.

I figured it might be a relatively cost effective way to get a bit more efficeincy from my stock 318 with it's new warm cam.

I may be wrong, but all the iron rockers I've seen have been adjustable.

I found another seller that has 9 sets of rockers and shafts.

wants $110 OBO for the rockers and $60 BIN for the pair of shafts, IIRC.

Auto Transport Service
Back